Question Really bad performance from 6600k after motherboard change

bcodemz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
So I have a i5-6600k on a Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H motherboard. This motherboard died on me. So I bought a brand new Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard as a replacement. This also allowed me to run 4k60 off the iGPU through the DP on the new motherboard, which saves me from buying a cheap GPU, which is great.

Now after the switch, the computer feels really slow. Initially I thought there's something wrong with the HD 530 graphics drivers, because even hitting the start menu, the Windows UI is causing the GPU usage to go to 100%, and it looks like 10fps. Even updating all drivers, graphics, chipset, LAN, SATA, USB, it is still very laggy.

Then I noticed my 6600k won't turbo boost, even though the CPU is in the 40C range at max load. The power draw won't exceed 43W

Then I noticed it took 3 minutes to boot on a SSD, and 1+ minute to shut down. SSD benchmarks are normal, and maxes out SATA 3 speeds.

Then I ran Cinebench R15 benchmark, and it is giving me 490 when a stock 6600k should give me high 600's.

Then I heard Asus's default auto overclocking profile is very bad, so I overclocked manually to 4.5GHz on 1.3V. Ran the benchmark again, and the score was the same, or actually lower than stock! The CPU never exceeded 61C, power never went above 63W.

Chrome performance is noticeably slower than my ancient Q6600 temp computer while the 6600k was down. What???

What's going on? This is the first gaming motherboard I've had before, and it has a lot more options in the BIOS. I just want to run this computer stock like my previous motherboard. But clearly something is really wrong. Can anyone help? Thank you

Last edited:

bcodemz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
I've done that, and it still doesn't work.

Even then, it wouldn't explain why it takes 2 minutes from hitting the power button to seeing the desktop, with an SSD, and other weird problems.