[SOLVED] Really confused about RAM compatibility with motherboard and CPU

byler47

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
Current parts list is in my signature

Alright, so this started when I decided I wanted to upgrade my RAM. I do a lot of video editing and Adobe Premiere eats up RAM like nobody's business. I wanted 32gb and 3600mhz (not too picky about the timings) but realized I needed to majorly upgrade my motherboard to take full advantage of it regardless of what kit I got. I found a sweet deal for a refurbished Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 on eBay and pulled the trigger, as It said it supported overclocking to 3600+mhz. At the time I didn't know how RAM works with different gen Ryzen CPU's, and I'm still kind of in a gray area with it.

My first choice of RAM was Trident Z Neo (2x16gb) 3600mhz C16, but then learned that that kit is optimized mainly for 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's on X570 boards. I couldn't find very much info on using this kit with 2nd gen Ryzen on an X470 board, but it looks like it would work, you just won't get as much performance out of the RAM. From what I understand, the QVL for this motherboard shows that for my current CPU (R7 2700X) the closest it can do is 32gb 3600mhz C17 on the normal Trident Z RGB, but only in 4x8gb form, not 2x16gb. Is that correct or am I not understanding something? I would prefer to use 2x16gb because it's cheaper and also is better for future proofing

Motherboard QVL (Pinnacle Ridge): https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-doc

In short, these are my questions:

1. Can this motherboard (the one I ordered) do 2x16gb 3600mhz with my current CPU? If so, what kit should I go for?
  2. Would it be better to upgrade to a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU for better compatibility? I don't really feel like doing this as I'm completely satisfied with the 2700X.
  3. If I should upgrade to 3rd gen, should I just go the whole 9 yards and get an X570 board as well? Again, I don't feel like doing this as the motherboard is already ordered and I don't think I can really afford a good one for a while.

Last edited:

byler47

Reputable
Jan 12, 2018
The simplest solution is to go to Crucial.com and enter your system there. They guarantee compatability and have good return and lifetime warranty.
That only works for prebuilt models. The scanner doesn't help because I'd have to have the motherboard installed for it to show me compatible kits and I don't want to be stuck with only one brand to choose from. On top of that, the prices aren't great.