Really dumb power question for 6800gt

I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
powering the card, is this true.

Steve

Actually its not a splitter.....the connection that feeds into the card
is unlike any i have seen and both end of the connector are
male......hmmmm
Steve

"steve1ddd" <steve1ddd@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
> 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
> go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
> connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
> does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
> powering the card, is this true.
>
> Steve

Steve,

The splitter is for grabbing power if you do not have a "free" power plug
that will reach the card. For example, you pull power from the CDROM and
plug the splitter to the power plug. Now you have two power plugs, one for
the CDROM and one for the video card. Another use would be to extend a cable
that is too short to reach.

Make sure you have a good power supply (At least 400Watts) or you may run
into issues.

Good luck, sweet card!

-Gary

bill

In article <1126886084.563347.120180@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
steve1ddd@aol.com says...
> I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
> 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
> go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
> connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
> does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
> powering the card, is this true.
>
> Steve

What did your instruction manual tell you to do?

Bill

Fitz

GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your 6800gt
(I've got the OC version, and it has one).
If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual suggest
using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:

video card hard drive
x x
x x
x x
connect to power
supply side

Good Luck,
Fitz

are you sure it's a GT. every review I read said the Ultra had two power
inputs but the GT only had one. it could be a mistake or a rather rare
card, check the manufacturers website to check it out.
you could be lucky and have an Ultra (lots of people say with a little
overclocking you'd have an ultra anyway) or at worst a very fine card
anyway.
what happens when you plug the card in, for mine kicks up a very loud
squealing noise if I have forgotten the PSU connector.

bill

In article <11in5ln5hrg7j26@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
says...
> GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your 6800gt
> (I've got the OC version, and it has one).
> If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
> with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual suggest
> using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:
>
> video card hard drive
> x x
> x x
> x x
> connect to power
> supply side
>
> Good Luck,
> Fitz

Actually It looks like it goes:

pwr supply pwr supply
x x
x x
x x
black connecter--------x
video card

from the pictures I can find.

http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html

I haven't actually physically seen a card. Don't the 6800GTs soak up a
lot of power?

Bill

"Bill" <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
> In article <11in5ln5hrg7j26@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
> says...
>> GDawg is correct....you should only have one power connector on your
>> 6800gt
>> (I've got the OC version, and it has one).
>> If you have an open plug from your power supply, use it and don't bother
>> with the Y adapter. If you don't have an unused plug, the manual
>> suggest
>> using a connector off a hard drive. Like so:
>>
>> video card hard drive
>> x x
>> x x
>> x x
>> connect to power
>> supply side
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Fitz
>>

> Actually It looks like it goes:
>
> pwr supply pwr supply
> x x
> x x
> x x
> black connecter--------x
> video card
>
> from the pictures I can find.
>
> http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html
>
> I haven't actually physically seen a card. Don't the 6800GTs soak up a
> lot of power?
>
> Bill

I know since I own a 6800GT. How about this? If you can't figure it out by
looking at it, you shouldn't be using a computer, walking on your hind legs,
or breathing for that matter. Just MHO...RTFM, ffs.

Cheers!

Fitz

From the BFG Quick Install Manual:

One Connector Instructions

1. Locate an available 4-pin peripheral power connector from your

internal power supply and plug it (*see note) directly into the

connector on the upper right hand edge of the BFG card.

2. If you do not have an available power connector, use the included

Y cable to supply power.

a. Disconnect the 4-pin peripheral power cable from the hard drive

located closest to the BFG card.

b. Plug this cable into the input end (A) of the Y cable

c. Plug one 4-pin peripheral connector (B) into the connector on the

upper right hand corner of the BFG card.

d. Plug the other 4-pin peripheral connector into the hard drive

which was disconnected in step a.

NOWHERE does it say to connect both of the (split) ends to the power supply,
and it specifically says do not use Y cable to connect to both power
connectors on the video card (if so equipped, and yours shouldn't be). Its
Power Supply---->Video Card/Hard Drive.

Fitz

Fitz

>walking on your hind legs, or breathing for that matter.<

How many sets of legs do you have that you have to differentiate between
your "hind" legs and others? Dragging your knuckles along the ground doesn't
make them legs. And what the hell does breathing have to do with installing
a video card?

Cheers

"steve1ddd" <steve1ddd@aol.com> wrote in message
>I just got a evga 6800 gt...i upgraded from a ati 9800 pro....now my
> 9800 had a power connector right on the card, just plug in power and
> go...but the 6800gt had a little adapter thinggy that has 2 power
> connectors...do i need to plug in 2 power connectors or just one or
> does it not matter? Also i was told not to use any spliters for
> powering the card, is this true.
>
> Steve

Just one :) I have the eVGA 6800 GT AGP, it also came with a molex
splitter (Y cable). They put it in for users convenience. I have enough
power cables, I just plugged it into one by itself. It's been said many
times by many sources that you shouldn't share a power cable with anything
else. If you're short on power cables, then share it with an optical drive.
Something that isn't power hungry and/or isn't used so often.
McG.

bill

In article <11ip35fq1ro3d10@corp.supernews.com>, akfitz@mtaonline.net
says...
> From the BFG Quick Install Manual:
>
> One Connector Instructions
>
> 1. Locate an available 4-pin peripheral power connector from your
>
> internal power supply and plug it (*see note) directly into the
>
> connector on the upper right hand edge of the BFG card.
>
> 2. If you do not have an available power connector, use the included
>
> Y cable to supply power.
>
> a. Disconnect the 4-pin peripheral power cable from the hard drive
>
> located closest to the BFG card.
>
> b. Plug this cable into the input end (A) of the Y cable
>
> c. Plug one 4-pin peripheral connector (B) into the connector on the
>
> upper right hand corner of the BFG card.
>
> d. Plug the other 4-pin peripheral connector into the hard drive
>
> which was disconnected in step a.
>
> NOWHERE does it say to connect both of the (split) ends to the power supply,
> and it specifically says do not use Y cable to connect to both power
> connectors on the video card (if so equipped, and yours shouldn't be). Its
> Power Supply---->Video Card/Hard Drive.
>

> Fitz

Thanks for the clarification. From the picture I looked at it
appeared that both molex connectors were male which would possibly
connect to two female connectors from the power supply. If the card
really needed all that power.

Bill
to two