[SOLVED] Really good software that gets thrown in the dustbin

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing I really hate about the software industry is idiotic insistence on tossing into the dustbin software that just plain works and works well. Mictosoft is notorious for this. Just look at windows.
Anywayt the best word processor I ever used was pfs: Professional Write. It just plain worked and didn't pretend to be what it wasn't - web page creator, formal publishing program, graphics editor, etc. Ditto for Quattro Pro v4. It did things in DOS the excel still has a hard time doing. And it introduced tabbed spreadsheets.
Another pair of programs were Adobe Photo Deluxe and ArcSoft PhotoStudio (esp. v5.5). Need to remove red eye? Click a button. Need to enhance a picture? Click a button. The both cleaned up photos and did it well and fast with a minimum of training or fuss.
I also used pfs: First Publisher. Not as easy as others but it worked great for preparing annual reports and budgets. (Of course printing a 20 - 30 page document on a 24 pin dot matrix was a titch noisy.)
Another one that just worked was, believe it or not, mictosoft Access 95. Took me about an hour to get it up and running. When I had to switch to Access 2007 it was like learning an entirely new program written by someone who absolutely no idea how to write a program. Plus the complete loss of backward compatibility. Oh Well.

Solution
Eye-Fi

A SD card for digital cameras, with WiFi functionality built in.
Turn any camera that takes an SD card into a WiFi capable device.

Originally, it worked perfectly.
The card and your camera could talk to any other wireless device. In either direction.
Take a bunch of pics, get within range of your house WiFi, it automagically starts to copy to the device of your choice.
jpg to this folder, RAW to that folder, avi/mov to some other folder.

I pushed probably 20,000 pics from my camera to the PC.

Knows what it already transferred and does not do that again. ("Endless".
Automatically deletes older files, on whatever percentage level you set.

No outside cloud connection needed. Available, but not required.

On more...

Wolfshadw

Titan
All in the name of "progress"!

/snort/

Yeah, I've never forgiven Microsoft for the changes they've decided to make. The biggest two for me being:
  1. Windows XP to Windows Vista. Yes! Please upgrade! BTW, 40% of the software you use (what I used on my computer) will no longer function in Windows Vista. That $300 TV Tuner Card? Yep! Go ahead and trash that!
  2. You know? Not enough people use Windows Media Center so let's just drop that into the circular file. Nevermind those of us who (again) spent money on hardware for that specific purpose. Sure, there are work-arounds, but why jump through hoops when it was working (nearly) perfectly.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
Eye-Fi

A SD card for digital cameras, with WiFi functionality built in.
Turn any camera that takes an SD card into a WiFi capable device.

Originally, it worked perfectly.
The card and your camera could talk to any other wireless device. In either direction.
Take a bunch of pics, get within range of your house WiFi, it automagically starts to copy to the device of your choice.
jpg to this folder, RAW to that folder, avi/mov to some other folder.

I pushed probably 20,000 pics from my camera to the PC.

Knows what it already transferred and does not do that again. ("Endless".
Automatically deletes older files, on whatever percentage level you set.

No outside cloud connection needed. Available, but not required.

On more than one occasion, I used it to automatically transfer photos from the camera to a laptop or tablet in my backpack, while on the move.

Then.....
Sell the thing to Ricoh.
MUST use their cloud solution.
Endless function gone.

Then...
All previous versions of the SD card no longer work. At all.

Then...
The cloud thing costs actual money.

Then...
Kill it off completely.

Took a perfectly working device and software, and killed it completely.

Solution