[SOLVED] Takes a really long time to show ASUS logo ?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi
today i built a pc with this config.
Asus prime b660Ma
2*8 Gskill ram 3200mhz...

here are my problems,
1-on slot 2-4 , i could enable XMP and 3200 but on slot 1-3 i cant and it stuck on 2133mhz.

2- it take a really long time like 45scc when i press power botton to show asus logo and after that it shows a Bios error that i have to enter bios with f1 and on boot manager , chose my disk drive and like that i can go to windows....

here is the error:
the system has posted in safe mode.
this may be due to the previous POST attempt failing because of system instability.
or power botton was held in to force the system off. if the system failed to post after you made changes to ufei setting, you may wish to revert it back to stable setting and to prevent post failure.
Press f1 to run setup.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Memory training. It is trying out the settings you gave it before booting. If it fails it will default back to 2133.

Use slots 2 and 4 then. That is expected.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._B660M-A_D4_UM_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME B660M-A D4

Page 20 for the expected slot population rules. Based on their explanation, flex mode is also acceptable, so you could have 16GB in channel A and 2x8GB in Channel B and still get full dual channel support.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Memory training. It is trying out the settings you gave it before booting. If it fails it will default back to 2133.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME B660M-A D4/E19186_PRIME_B660M-A_D4_UM_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME B660M-A D4

Page 20 for the expected slot population rules. Based on their explanation, flex mode is also acceptable, so you could have 16GB in channel A and 2x8GB in Channel B and still get full dual channel support.
so basically its normal that my XMP only work with 2-4 and not 1-3.....
will XMP work with 4 slot field at same time?

so if i use another single 8gb on other slot , either 1 or 3, still get dual channel? cool!!!

p.s i stress test my cpu for 15 min and its 55© on 23© room.
idle 26...
comparing to 4690 i had before, its amazing!!! that one was around 73

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
so basically its normal that my XMP only work with 2-4 and not 1-3.....
will XMP work with 4 slot field at same time?

so if i use another single 8gb on other slot , either 1 or 3, still get dual channel? cool!!!

p.s i stress test my cpu for 15 min and its 55© on 23© room.
idle 26...
comparing to 4690 i had before, its amazing!!! that one was around 73

Well, memory population rules are somewhat strict. A dual channel kit will be expected to be in the optimal slots, and that is what they will have tested against. Even two identical model number memory kits are no guarantee you can get all four slots working at XMP speeds. It Should work, but might have to tweaked manually to get it stable and/or boot.

If you already have 2x8GB, adding a third 8GB stick will still have your original 16GB in dual channel, the added 8GB will be in single channel (it would be on its own in the second bank)

2x8GB + 1x16GB could be all 32GB in dual channel

2x4GB + 1x8GB could be all 16GB in dual channel.

All still Flex mode. it lets you have odd amounts of memory without sacrificing dual channel mode as much as possible.

i3-12100 is a much 'smaller' CPU than an i5-4690, not surprising that it runs cooler. Also been a few node shrinks since then. 22nm (all like six generations of 14nm) and now 10nm (AKA N7)

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Well, memory population rules are somewhat strict. A dual channel kit will be expected to be in the optimal slots, and that is what they will have tested against. Even two identical model number memory kits are no guarantee you can get all four slots working at XMP speeds. It Should work, but might have to tweaked manually to get it stable and/or boot.

If you already have 2x8GB, adding a third 8GB stick will still have your original 16GB in dual channel, the added 8GB will be in single channel (it would be on its own in the second bank)

2x8GB + 1x16GB could be all 32GB in dual channel

2x4GB + 1x8GB could be all 16GB in dual channel.

All still Flex mode. it lets you have odd amounts of memory without sacrificing dual channel mode as much as possible.

i3-12100 is a much 'smaller' CPU than an i5-4690, not surprising that it runs cooler. Also been a few node shrinks since then. 22nm (all like six generations of 14nm) and now 10nm (AKA N7)
so how can i know for sure if my memory run in D.Channel?
right now on CPUz memory tab under channel section in top, i see 2X64bit.
mem controler freq 1596
uncore frequency 1197
Dram Frequency 1597
fsb:dram= 1:24
cl 16
and some other stuff as well....

on SPD:
Rank single
spd XMP 2.0
AND on table below , on right i see:
xmp 3200
Frequency 1600
CAS 16
V:1.35
tRAS:38

is this single? should i ask for refound?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Last edited:
so singel rank and singel channel are two different thing?
same goes for dual channel and dual rank?

also about slow logo, did you had same problem or know this problem? because that one is important to me and this is the last day of my refund policy day
Yes rank and channel are different.

No I have not seen the slow logo problem but I don't have your hardware either.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME B660M-A D4/E19186_PRIME_B660M-A_D4_UM_WEB.pdf?model=PRIME B660M-A D4

i did another test.... took out all RAM s and just use one on each slot. 2-4 works fine.
1 is ok and boot 3200.... but on slot 3, system won't boot XMP and causing Bios error....
so is this motherboard problem?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
lucky me with another tech failure :(
i wonder why electric stuff i buy are not completely broken so that i could refound easily. its like i always have to prove it....

so if this motherboard supposed to work up to 5333mhz ( i Know its a joke) , why problem with 3200!

1-2-4 work fine. solo or dual.
problem is only when insert ram to 3 (B1) , alone or in combination with 1

DSzymborski

Titan
you cant imagine how many times did i check this page with the hope someone know this problem and help me with that :(

I'm still not even sure, from your explanations, what your hardware actually is. You list a 2x8 stick of RAM at the top, yet you continue to talk about having trouble getting all four sticks working. If you can give descriptions that are both detailed and precise, you'll have a better chance at getting some more answers from readers.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
I'm still not even sure, from your explanations, what your hardware actually is. You list a 2x8 stick of RAM at the top, yet you continue to talk about having trouble getting all four sticks working. If you can give descriptions that are both detailed and precise, you'll have a better chance at getting some more answers from readers.
asus b660-m-a wifi ,
ram 2X 8Gb G.skill 3200

problem is:
All ram slot working fine 2133.
but with XMP enabled and 3200:
RAM slot , 2-4 is working fine. with only one 8Gb or two stick. , So 2-4 work fine in every mode.
BUT, slot 1-3 have problem with 2 stick.
slot 1 alone, work fine with 3200mhz but not in Combination with 3.
slot 3 Alone: (here is the problem)
dont work alone (only 1 Ram) 3200
OR in dual channel mode with slot 1.
but it work fine alone 2133.

i really appreciate any help. i dont even sure what device is faulty.
somewhere i was reading its IMC or something. Is it? somewhere else i said IMC located in CPU. so is it cpu problem?
are these related to RAM or defect in the motherboard?
is it even problem at all?

intel cpu have no warranty around here. so i can only return it in 7 day of purchase. Ram is life time warranty, also moBo have only 2 years

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
update to this:
by disabling XMP, i went to bios manual oC section and tried OC to 2400 , fine, 2933 mhz, not fine! bsod, win32kbase.syd Error..... but i'm not sure if i should change the Voltage ⚡ by now or its safe to go higher?

update : i went to 3000MHz
1.375v
seems stabeleis this high?
also with thia explanation, what may cause this? is this motherboard problem or ram or neither

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
another update....
3100mhz
1.375 (didnt try 1.35 yet)
16-18-18-38
slot 1 and 3 work...

but 2-4 working fine on 3200 and 1.35v.

this is same ram going from slot 1-3 to 2-4

so i dont know what may be wrong

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
it seems no one interested in this.
so this may be my last update. maby for someone else in future with my problem.

i was able to boot it stable 3100 + 1.35 other parts are XMP. for slot 1+3. even i went up to 1.4V and no luck.

( 2+4 are fine 3200mhz.)

later , i used Memtest86 and made a bootable USB and 4/4 phase passed without an issue.

yet , my question remains....
is this an RAM quality issues?
or motherboard problem?
or CPU?

I'm not sure because i dont know anything about that but i'm still having hope someone could help me with that .
also i asked a friend to bring me his DDR4 kit. not sure about Brand or spec. all i know its 2*8Gb for Ryzen 2700 cpu.

update: i just got my friend RaM, its Kingston hyperFury with nice rbg.
but i dont know what frequency is that. nothing written on it

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Last Update
for some reason my friend couldn't send me 2X and it was just 1X Kingston 2400 hyperFury

my rams in 2+4
his ram on both slot 1 and 3 works fine.
(2+3+4)
(1+3+4)
XMP loaded. and also 3200 . also i did go to 3300mhz and its stable
also for some reason unknown to me. it run on dual channel mode although 1 slot empty.

Last edited: