[SOLVED] Really low gpu and cpu usage

Jul 28, 2020
So i have a recent thing that i started noticing in my msi afterburner that in games like fortnite with all on low my gpu is getting like 80% or even less like 70 or 65 its really low, my pc: Ryzen 5 1600, rx 580 8gb 16gb ram 3200mhz ( keep in mind i dont know much about pc some examples are like i dont know about the information that msi afterburner provides me like my gpu clock my mem clock that goes from 1000 to 2000 a lot of times, i dont know if those thinks matter or what ever does matter) so yeah and my cpu its getting insane low usage like 20% 40% or 50%, please if someone wants to help me be free to do it so! thks for your time.

all this in fortnite with avg 130 120 fps but on cs go the fps can go up to 300 and 230

Last edited:
Reactions: brryronnie
Solution
I see no reason to use afterburner when you can do all the same stuff (and more) in the already-installed AMD Settings.

Try uninstalling afterburner. You can monitor CPU and GPU usage using AMD Settings by hitting Ctrl+Shift+O to display the overlay. You can set whatever metrics you'd like to monitor from AMD Settings - Performance.

Your framerates aren't bad. Unless you're getting bad FPS variations, I wouldn't worry about your current performance.
I see no reason to use afterburner when you can do all the same stuff (and more) in the already-installed AMD Settings.

Try uninstalling afterburner. You can monitor CPU and GPU usage using AMD Settings by hitting Ctrl+Shift+O to display the overlay. You can set whatever metrics you'd like to monitor from AMD Settings - Performance.

Your framerates aren't bad. Unless you're getting bad FPS variations, I wouldn't worry about your current performance.

Reactions: brryronnie
Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished
So i have a recent thing that i started noticing in my msi afterburner that in games like fortnite with all on low my gpu is getting like 80% or even less like 70 or 65 its really low, my pc: Ryzen 5 1600, rx 580 8gb 16gb ram 3200mhz ( keep in mind i dont know much about pc some examples are like i dont know about the information that msi afterburner provides me like my gpu clock my mem clock that goes from 1000 to 2000 a lot of times, i dont know if those thinks matter or what ever does matter) so yeah and my cpu its getting insane low usage like 20% 40% or 50%, please if someone wants to help me be free to do it so! thks for your time.

all this in fortnite with avg 130 120 fps but on cs go the fps can go up to 300 and 230
That graphics card excels at being capped at 60FPS 1920x1080P as you try to go any higher you are just wasting the card where it excels the most. Don't use the AMD settings they are trash and dont work properly. stay with MSI Afterburner it is reliable. With the setup you have, and the game you are playing, you have to factor in a few things. Server, the network, the other players. the effects and animations on screen. THe Rx 580 is a Lower End of the Mid Range GPUS and trying to push more than what it should be capped at will see it hit 100% in almost every game. CAp at 60FPs on 1080P. you want more than that then you will want to buy a new card.

Jul 28, 2020

ok! i am going to try it! but you didnt include any information such as why the problem can happen etc! but thanks! : D

I don't see anything wrong with those FPS, 130 is a nice number for an RX 580 + Ryzen 5 1600.

Game performance depends on a lot of stuff, the map you are playing, the amount of players on the map, how, where and what they do?, etc.

I would start by making sure I have the latest version of MSI Afterburner installed.

And don't forget to also check the temps of GPU and CPU.

Jul 28, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with those FPS, 130 is a nice number for an RX 580 + Ryzen 5 1600.

Game performance depends on a lot of stuff, the map you are playing, the amount of players on the map, how, where and what they do?, etc.

I would start by making sure I have the latest version of MSI Afterburner installed.

And don't forget to also check the temps of GPU and CPU.
Hey thakns for the reply! one question if i play on a certain resolution like 1722x1080 does it make my fps worse then with 1920x1080? And what about the 30% of my cpu? isnt that a problem? and my gpu only going for 60% or 70%? what about that?

Hey thakns for the reply! one question if i play on a certain resolution like 1722x1080 does it make my fps worse then with 1920x1080? And what about the 30% of my cpu? isnt that a problem? and my gpu only going for 60% or 70%? what about that?

Of course anyone want thier GPU to be at ~90% usage, and the CPU to be available to do what the GPU needs, when it need it.

Thing is there could be a lot of factors, really lots of them, that could be causing your issues, if theres any issue at all.
Could be just MSI afterburning not reporting the right GPU and CPU usage.

As for resolutions, ff you have the hardware to play at the monitor native resolution (which I think you do) thats what I would do.
I really don't play that kind of games anymore, I know FPS are important for them, but Im more on how the game looks and play right now (Im more intersted on the 1% low been as close as the AVG FPS I can).

Jul 28, 2020
Of course anyone want thier GPU to be at ~90% usage, and the CPU to be available to do what the GPU needs, when it need it.

Thing is there could be a lot of factors, really lots of them, that could be causing your issues, if theres any issue at all.
Could be just MSI afterburning not reporting the right GPU and CPU usage.

As for resolutions, ff you have the hardware to play at the monitor native resolution (which I think you do) thats what I would do.
I really don't play that kind of games anymore, I know FPS are important for them, but Im more on how the game looks and play right now (Im more intersted on the 1% low been as close as the AVG FPS I can).
ok! so basically if i want more lets say stable fps i should let it on native?

Yes, play at your monitors native resolution. 1722x1080 custom resolution is weird. Not sure if that was a joke or not. Were you just trying to get a 10% pixel reduction? It's better to just reduce game quality settings.

Although this is a rough description, I have grown to like it because most people can understand it:
  • CPU tells the GPU what is in a frame and where things are. (like a rough outline/sketch)
  • GPU draws the frame (final drawing) to be sent to the monitor.
  • Repeat repeat repeat for each frame.
If you lower resolution or detail settings (or both), the GPU doesn't have to draw as detailed of a picture, so it takes less time. Your FPS goes up. Generally here, your GPU usage is at/near 100% and your CPU isn't.

At some point (depending on the CPU and GPU combo) the difficulty of drawing each frame will become so easy, the GPU will finish rendering each frame before the CPU has figured out what's on the next frame, so the GPU has to wait for the CPU to tell it what to draw next. If you continue reducing quality/resolution past this point, your FPS will cease to improve much or at all. You've now entered a CPU-limited scenario. Here, the GPU is NOT at/near 100% usage. The CPU usage is a little harder to come by since a game may not be able to use as many cores/threads as are available from the CPU. For example, if only 6 of 12 threads on a CPU are being utilized, most programs will report that as 50% usage.

*Some games are more CPU heavy than others. For example, Battlefield games have historically produced nearly equivalent FPS on a large range of CPUs, while Civilization games show a more contrasting performance gradient in that same CPU lineup. Also, online games tend to me more CPU heavy than offline/single player. Also as you can imagine, online games also have a number of additional "potential inconsistencies" that can affect FPS compared to offline ones.

Reactions: RodroX