Really need an answer about using this PSU with my new Mobo!

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Currently in my system is a Dell 875w W299G PSU that was powering my Alienware micro ATX mobo. I just got a new mobo with a socket 1155 and I need to know if I can use the Dell PSU on this board so I can get this system built ASAP.

Now the PSU seems to have all the
normal connectors, 24 Pin main, SATA, Molex, 8 pin PCI-E, and 2 6 pins labeled “cpu” and such but I can’t find any info if it is compatible with non Dell/Alienware Mobos. I would like to salvage it if possible but if not then I need to hurry and order a new PSU so I appreciate if anyone is able to answer this question. Thanks

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
The new mobo is a ECS H61H2-M2 with a i5 3470. Its going to have 16gb RAM, GTX 970 SSC, PCI 1x USB 3.0 card, 1 SATA SSD and 3 SATA HDD using the juice. I’m going to try and use the AW closed loop CPU water cooling thats already in the case too.

I appreciate you finding this out for me, I have been asking for days on several different forums with no luck. This whole build was a necessity that came by surprise so I need to try and salvage as much as I can from my Alienware Aurora in order to save money. Thanks.

In Dell PSUs that size the wiring harness is modular. They use that PSU in many computers with many different wiring schemes. The Alienware is probably one of the more standard ones. If it has a 24pin ATX, an 8 pin CPU, and a few PCIe, and SATA cables it should work. Unless Dell made the wires too short in some area. Electrically it should work. Since you already own it see if it can be connected properly. If your MB needs a 4 pin CPU you may be out of luck because Dell tends not to install 4+4 plugs, just whatever the system they sell requires. Make a list of connectors you need, and see what the PSU provides. Those are quality PSUs no reason not to use it. Just be sure you know the difference between an 8 pin CPU, and an 8 pin PCIe. Aftermarket one would be 4+4 and the other 6+2. In the Dell they will both be 8 pin.

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Thanks but the dell wires wouldn’t be wired differently would they? What i mean is if the dell psu have the same pin locations as other manufacturers? so lets say there was a pin with 3 wires. pin 1 is negative, pin 2 is positive and pin 3 is ground so would that be the same for my psu or could dell have made pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive and pin 3 negative just so the psu would be useless in any non dell boards?

Alienware was an ATX builder that Dell took over. So they tend to be more standard in their setup. Back in the Pentium 4 days Dell did wire their PSUs different, and HP does it too. So it's a legitimate question. But in recent years a 24 pin is a 24 pin, and the 8 pins are standard also. There are some Optiplexes with an 8 pin MB connector instead of a 24 pin but the lack of a 24 pin makes them obvious.. It would help if you said which Alienware you have. Then I could check the owners manual for you. But with an 875W PSU I'm thinking it's a Mid Tower and not a Mini Tower. Where they still go off script is in the workstations tha t may use that PSU and wire it for storage, and dual CPU options that don't exist elsewhere. Then you get strange 10 pin connectors and such.

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
It’s an Alienware Aurora R1 from around 2009-2010, right when Dell acquired AW. The PSU says Dell and it is a W299G. I received my new Mobo in the mail and one connector next the CPU is a 4 pin and I don’t see a 4 pin connector on the Dell harness so that may be An issue.

One other issue I came across with some research is the CPU water cooler. It turns out its an Asetek brand cooler and I got curious about mounting issues so did some research. The company makes bracket kits to adapt the cooler for different sockets but the kit for the 1155 is also the kit for the 1366 which is the socket its installed on now. I couldn’t track down a picture of the backplate thats on my specific model so I don’t know if the cooler will fit on the new 1155 socket without the kit. This plan of having a easy conversion to a new machine keeps getting more difficult on me.

MB swaps with Dells are always tricky. It's not uncommon for Dell to screw the cooler into the case and not use a backplate. I t just depends on whether they cared about aftermarket compatability or not. Most of the time they didn't. Since that allows overclocking and supports triple channel DDR3 1600XMP RAM. I would get a Xeon X5687 in there and overclock it.
The owners manual doesn't get very specific about the PSU connectors. Or show a MB diagram.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_alienware_dsk/alienware-aurora_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf
Looking at pictures of the MB I see an normal 8 pin CPU plug by the chipset cooler.
LGA1366 was a high end platform, and that was a high end system. There's a lot left in what you already have there.
But maybe it died and that's not an option. 2x6 pin CPU connectors isn't normal. GPU would make more sense. There should an 8 pin CPU plug you could unpin 4 wires and put them in a 4 pin CPU connector, or even install a 4+4 aftrmarket type. But Dell always made things to fit what they were selling. I think any Dell wiring harness for an 875W PSU will have an 8 pin CPU plug and not 4 pin.

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I know and I would have been fine continuing to run the AW but unfortunately the CPU didn’t support AVX nor did any cpu that would fit within it so I needed a quick, cheap fix. Getting a used mobo with a newer gen cpu w/ AVX was that plan. Thanks for the help.

Here are the things you need to look at for a MB swap in a Dell. Compare all the wiring to the fornt I/O, USB, sound, and power switches. Since it's an ATX, and an AW it may be normal. Dell sometimes puts temperature sensors there, and 4 light LED diagnostic displays. The LEDs can be left off. A temp sensor is more serious. After you figure out what you're going to do there, look at the cooler carefully. Dell sometimes uses different size, or thread bolts there. Look at the rear I/O area Dell very often builds that into the case. That means any difference requires metal work. If you have a removeable I/O plate you're lucky.
Next you need to look under the MB. Dell often doesn't use stand offs but stamps risers into the case for MB mtg, and cooler too. These can be bigger than the standoffs and might short something out. Might need some fiber washers.They also put metal tabs sticking up under the expansion slots to support them. These can be folded down. The XPS730X from the same era was designed for MB swaps, The AW IDK.