Really need help with my GTX1080!

NerdPsycho

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Recently I followed Jayztwocents' guide to OC'ing and I did so without touching voltage. I did it using MSI Afterburner and was at about 170% on core clocks when I noticed artifacts so I bumped it down and tried to restart my computer. After that, I could never boot up with my 1080 again. Everytime I tried, I would be stuck at the gigabyte screen and unable to press DEL for BIOS, or any F keys to go into the boot screen.

GPU is Zotac 1080
Motherboard is ga-x79s-up5-wifi

Things I've tried
1) CMOS Battery Pull out and including battery change for more than 1 min/8hours
2) CMOS Reset Button (As I don't have the plastic thingy on my cmos jumper)
3) Uninstalling my current drivers and old drivers (680 and 1080) using Display Driver Uninstaller
4) Putting my 1080 in PCIEX_16 2 slot
5) I tried fixing back my 680 and loading optimized defaults, taking it out, and putting in the 1080
6) I always unplugged power before I changed the graphics cards
7) I even went to Zotac for a 1 to 1 exchange, but brought it back and fixed it, still same issue
8) Technician at Zotac said doing all the CMOS thing won't work cus MSI Afterburner is software, and once you restart your com, everything should go away.

But I still can't get my 1080 to load!

So I'm really lost now guys, the motherboard seems to work with my 680 fine but even with my new "unclocked" and brand new GPU, it seems like somehow something is storing the "wrong" settings with the 1080? What could it be? If you guys have any more suggestions, I'll be happy to try them, thanks so much.

Solution
In your list, 7, you got a new card from them or did they ship you yours back?
Can you test the card in another system?

I don't suggest trying to overclock a card as fast at the 1080, you are just risking the card for no real gain, the card is already very fast.
In your list, 7, you got a new card from them or did they ship you yours back?
Can you test the card in another system?

I don't suggest trying to overclock a card as fast at the 1080, you are just risking the card for no real gain, the card is already very fast.

Solution

NerdPsycho

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016

I've deleted every trace of it

The cards are working fine, both the old one and the new card as tested in the technician's system. But when it comes to my PC, it refuses to boot somehow.

Yea I got greedy cus I live in Singapore and Zotac Singapore told me that the cards are sold here are already OC'ed unlike in the US where it is not overclocked right out of the box.