Question Really need help with pc damaging ram.

Sep 8, 2022
Hi there please give me your 10 cents about this issue it's pretty confusing but I'll try and explain as best I can as my English is not perfect.

PC specs: old i7 3770
Gigabyte: GA-H61M-S2PV
Ram: 2 x 4gb g.Skill 1600mhz
Raidmax 650w psu
Gtx 1080 8gb
1tb ssd
1tb hdd
3 x 120mm fans

So last week I turned on my pc and it showed the bios screen then it reset... After auto reseting it did not display again. There is a weird ticking noise coming from the installed speaker. There was also no lightning or power spikes that I know of. I also did not smell any burning, I figured something must have crapped so I went about testing.

I reset all the wires checked for shorts reset the ram and cpu but it stayed the same.

I then started swoping out parts. I started with ram to no success, then I tried both my spare cpu's without success.

I figured it must be the mobo as the psu was only about 2 weeks old.

I managed to obtain 2 lga 1155 mobo and tought it is now an easy fix. I installed the gigabyte GA-B75-D3H with the 3770 and the g.Skill ram and started the pc....... Suprize it does the same as the old mobo.... So then I think.. oooo crap could it really have been the cpu.. So installed a 3240 again and still did the same. I removed the mobo and ran it on a boks outside the pc with the onboard graphics with only the ssd. Still did the same. So once again I changed the ram and everything was working fine.

Now I am thinking that maybe my old mobo was fine and somehow I stuffed up when I did the ram problem finding. So I put back the 3770 with the new ram and pc once again boots up to windows etc after idling for 1 hour I switched it of... When powering on again pc is doing the same not posting and weird ticking noise from speaker. After testing parts again I find that the new ram is now also damaged can it be the cpu or psu or what i really don't know anymore. I did test the original mobo again and with other new ram(3rd pair now) it goes to bios but then restarts and carries on like that.

Think my option is to 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long story short I now have 2 broken pairs of ram a busted mobo... I'm to scared to use the 3770 as I don't know if it could be the reason why the ram is being damaged(as far as I know it can't be possible) or could it be that the brand new psu is to blame 😬

So I build a complete new pc only carried over the i7 3770, gpu, hhd & ssd as well as the cpu cooler at first all was working fine after 2 hours gaming I switched of and when switching on ram was damaged again😭 so I figured it must be the cpu I swooped out the cpu and repeated the process... Another pair of ram sticks damaged.... So I'm left with it has to be the gpu the hhd or ssd or cpu cooler I really don't know anymore.

If I try booting with any of the ram sticks that has been damaged the pc is stuck in an endless loop of starting up and restarting without any beeps.

Thanks for any and all input.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Raidmax 650w psu
That might very well be the root of your cause...using that to power your entire build with a GTX1080 in it. Might want to elaborate on the model for your Raidmax unit, as well as it's age, just to round up my concern.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Sep 8, 2022
Thank you very much for welcoming and the advice... I also ended up thinking might be the psu but it was only 2 weeks old. However with the new build I ended up putting in a new college master p7 700w psu and thats when I lost the 4th pair of ram. 😅

So literally the only parts that's left from the previous system is the gpu, my ssd and hdd and the cpu cooler I even used new case fans as well as new sata cable. Also everything works so to me it almost feels like the ram is not dumbing its memory or something but I don't really know how ram works and wat influence a gpu or hdd's could have on it.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you very much for welcoming and the advice... I also ended up thinking might be the psu but it was only 2 weeks old. However with the new build I ended up putting in a new college master p7 700w psu and thats when I lost the 4th pair of ram. 😅

So literally the only parts that's left from the previous system is the gpu, my ssd and hdd and the cpu cooler I even used new case fans as well as new sata cable. Also everything works so to me it almost feels like the ram is not dumbing its memory or something but I don't really know how ram works and wat influence a gpu or hdd's could have on it.

The problem is that the Raidmax is barely even a PSU; it should not have been in this system.

What's "College Master P7 700W?" I assume you mean Cooler Master but I see no "P7" PSU. Specifics are very important here.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes sorry that auto correct... Here is the link for the cooler master.

That's another really cheaply made, group-regulated PSU.

Do you have an appropriate PSU for a GTX 1080? You'll find it's more economical to buy a quality PSU once rather than several low-quality PSUs. If not, I'd completely remove the GTX 1080, run on integrated graphics, and see if there's still a problem.

Sep 8, 2022
Yeah I'm in the process of immagrating so sold most of my pc stuff just kept a few things to keep the pc running. I did run the gtx 1080 on a gamdias Kratos for 2 months and then the raidmax for 2-3 weeks without any issues. The 3rd pair of ram sticks got damaged with onboard gpu without the gpu installed. So I figured it was not the gpu... Also with the ram there is no funny smell no bsod nothing it's working then after wanting to switch on pc again nothing. Put in new ram and boots up just as normal.