Really slow download speed, very fast upload speed/ping

kwontagious

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
So I've seen a couple threads with similar topics, but mine seems to be too extreme of a case to be comparable. I just installed Windows 10 on a PC I just built and downloaded the drivers and after testing the wifi through speedtest.net, this is what I continuously get:

Internet Speed Test Result

My setup:
i5-6600
8GB DDR4 Ram
H110M-A motherboard
TP-Link Archer T4U V2 AC1300

My internet provider:
AT&T U-Verse 1000 Mbps

Now I've tried to do a couple different things to solve it, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.
1. I've deleted the drivers in Device Manager, and hit Scan for Hardware Changes to reinstall
2. Tested to see if it's my room, but I get 30 Mbps with my laptop in the exact spot my desktop is at

I really don't know what to do here. It's so annoying trying to even surf the web here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks ya'l.

Solution
Try to force your card to connect using the 2.4g radio rather than the 5g. Many times the router has a different SSID for the 2 signals. The 2.4g is not 802.11ac so your top speed maybe lower but 2.4g tends to have better coverage in most houses so maybe you get performance level that is usable.

With internal PCI cards your computer case tends to block a lot of the signal. Try turning the case in different directions and see if you get more signal. The antenna in laptop are placed behind or on top of the screen which tends to be optimal placement.

It could be a driver issue but it tends to not be a common thing. It does not hurt to be sure you have the latest driver from the manufacture site.

If I had gigabit internet I would...
Try to force your card to connect using the 2.4g radio rather than the 5g. Many times the router has a different SSID for the 2 signals. The 2.4g is not 802.11ac so your top speed maybe lower but 2.4g tends to have better coverage in most houses so maybe you get performance level that is usable.

With internal PCI cards your computer case tends to block a lot of the signal. Try turning the case in different directions and see if you get more signal. The antenna in laptop are placed behind or on top of the screen which tends to be optimal placement.

It could be a driver issue but it tends to not be a common thing. It does not hurt to be sure you have the latest driver from the manufacture site.

If I had gigabit internet I would one of those guys who ran the ethernet cable over the floor no matter what the wife says.

Solution