Question Really slow POST/BIOS every few startups.

Jan 23, 2020
Hi all,

I have been searching for weeks to find a solution to my issue with no luck so far. Hopefully someone here can shine some light on this.

Recently built a new system:

CPU: 9900k
MOBO: MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 1TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
PSU: Silverstone Essential 750W

The first few weeks of operation everything was working totally fine. Ran Windows update, ensured all drivers up to date with SDI RUS, no issues at all. I had XMP enabled from the MOBO so get RAM up to speed. Had also OC'd the CPU to 5.0ghz @1.32v.

Startup would usually take between 5-10 seconds. Then all of a sudden, it took 60 seconds. This was confirmed in 'Last BIOS time' in task manager. The delay was from pressing the power button to the MSI BIOS logo appearing. Once the MSI logo appeared, Windows would load promptly. As far as I can tell, I had changed no settings. I wasn't sure what had caused this.

Now, maybe 1 out of every 5 startups will have this delayed start up. The rest of the time, it will start up between 5-10 seconds. I enabled MSI Fast Boot, which fixed the issue, leading me to assume it has something to do with the POST, or whatever else MSI Fast Boot disables. I also only have 4 USB devices (mouse, keyboard, webcam, Blue Yeti Mic).

Even though MSI fast boot fixes the issue, the feeling still lingers that there is an underlying issue that I am simply covering up with MSI Fast Boot. I cannot seem to find any way of getting a log of what happens in POST to try and pinpoint this issue. I have reset CMOC successfully and re-installed Windows. Neither fixed the issue.

Hopefully the info I have provided is enough of a starting point. If anyone can offer any help with this at all, it would be majorly appreciated.

Cheers!
Connor