[SOLVED] Really Strange Issues with Windows 10

Sir_Richard

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
So in just the past week, I've had a really strange problem that has prevailed despite my efforts to fix it. I just can't find the source issue. I first noticed that my Spotify would skip constantly and seemingly infinitely which I first thought might be an issue with Spotify but my Spotify works just fine on my laptop and phone, so I've ruled that out. Another issue I've discovered is Pretzel (another song streaming service sorta like Pandora) won't play at all. VLC also refuses to play DVDs while this is going on. The windows key on my keyboard ceases to work as well. Finally, I can't drag off a tab from Google Chrome to create a separate window (but opera works just fine). But that's the extent of the issues. Nothing else seems to be affected by this. I've made sure windows is updated fully (version 20H2 OS Build #19042.870), I ran sfc /scannow as well as a bunch of DISM health scans and restores (of which on the sfc scan came up with anything to fix) but none of these attempts did anything. I then went to update the BIOS which I hadn't done in a while as well as some drivers and was happy to discover that the BIOS update seemed to make all of the issues disappear entirely. I thought that was the end of it. But after a couple more restarts as I continued to update drivers while I was on ASUS' website, they all came back. One idea I had was maybe it's my keyboard acting up so I unplugged it and did some cleaning, especially where the song skip key was, seeing as that was one of the issues, and I also updated my Logitech software, which required a restart. I got back into the machine after the restart and it started working fine again. No issues for the rest of the day. That was yesterday. Today I log in and they're all back again. Really desperate for help here guys, any would be appreciated!

Also, here's my specs http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UMgNVUyqCDAzrRr8Hms2ejl

Thanks!

Solution
So in just the past week, I've had a really strange problem that has prevailed despite my efforts to fix it. I just can't find the source issue. I first noticed that my Spotify would skip constantly and seemingly infinitely which I first thought might be an issue with Spotify but my Spotify works just fine on my laptop and phone, so I've ruled that out. Another issue I've discovered is Pretzel (another song streaming service sorta like Pandora) won't play at all. VLC also refuses to play DVDs while this is going on. The windows key on my keyboard ceases to work as well. Finally, I can't drag off a tab from Google Chrome to create a separate window (but opera works just fine). But that's the extent of the issues. Nothing else seems...
So in just the past week, I've had a really strange problem that has prevailed despite my efforts to fix it. I just can't find the source issue. I first noticed that my Spotify would skip constantly and seemingly infinitely which I first thought might be an issue with Spotify but my Spotify works just fine on my laptop and phone, so I've ruled that out. Another issue I've discovered is Pretzel (another song streaming service sorta like Pandora) won't play at all. VLC also refuses to play DVDs while this is going on. The windows key on my keyboard ceases to work as well. Finally, I can't drag off a tab from Google Chrome to create a separate window (but opera works just fine). But that's the extent of the issues. Nothing else seems to be affected by this. I've made sure windows is updated fully (version 20H2 OS Build #19042.870), I ran sfc /scannow as well as a bunch of DISM health scans and restores (of which on the sfc scan came up with anything to fix) but none of these attempts did anything. I then went to update the BIOS which I hadn't done in a while as well as some drivers and was happy to discover that the BIOS update seemed to make all of the issues disappear entirely. I thought that was the end of it. But after a couple more restarts as I continued to update drivers while I was on ASUS' website, they all came back. One idea I had was maybe it's my keyboard acting up so I unplugged it and did some cleaning, especially where the song skip key was, seeing as that was one of the issues, and I also updated my Logitech software, which required a restart. I got back into the machine after the restart and it started working fine again. No issues for the rest of the day. That was yesterday. Today I log in and they're all back again. Really desperate for help here guys, any would be appreciated!

Also, here's my specs http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UMgNVUyqCDAzrRr8Hms2ejl

Thanks!
Just something the speccy shows.
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and let it run for 1 hour......no errors allowed.
If that passes enter the bios and enable xmp.
Boot the flash stick and let it run for 2 hrs......no errors allowed.

Solution

Sir_Richard

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Just something the speccy shows.
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot it up and let it run for 1 hour......no errors allowed.
If that passes enter the bios and enable xmp.
Boot the flash stick and let it run for 2 hrs......no errors allowed.
So after playing around with it some more for a couple days, I ended up reseating my graphics card and switching the ports for the RAM (from the black to the gray) and it has yet to revert to those issues. I before and after this change however I tried multiple times to run memtest86 from the flash drive but each time was only met by a black screen. I waited 10 to 15 minutes each time but nothing showed up. Not sure if it's a problem with my RAM or my USB stick... Probably going to try buying a new USB stick, see if anything changes.