[SOLVED] Really tight athlon 200ge stock cooler?

Jul 8, 2020
I bought an athlon 200ge for office reasons. The stock cooler is the clip-on/hinge type without screws. I put everything together but It felt a little tight upon clamping the cooler to the bracket(bracket was preinstalled on the mobo). So the next day i removed the cooler and cpu to see if i applied it wrong but it was in correctly. But also while i was pulling the lever for the cpu up there was a click upon lifting it up fully.
Questions:
  1. Is the clip-on/hinge type supposed to feel quite tight? Or should i loosen the screws that hold the brackets into the mobo?
  2. Should I reapply thermal paste to the cpu?
  3. Is that click noise normal?
Thanks.

Solution
Is the clip-on/hinge type supposed to feel quite tight? Or should i loosen the screws that hold the brackets into the mobo?

Most coolers are installed a bit tight. Not over tightened but tight enough keep it snug in place. No need to loosen the mobo brackets

Some clamp coolers also have a tendency to put up some resistance when clamping them down.

Should I reapply thermal paste to the cpu?

After removing a cooler its recommended to apply new paste as air can get trapped if you reinstall the cooler using the thermal paste that was still on it previously

You can clean off the old paste by putting a little bit of 70% or higher rubbing alcohol onto a coffee filter or a paper towel and wipe off the old thermal paste. I...

Furzumz

Reputable
Is the clip-on/hinge type supposed to feel quite tight? Or should i loosen the screws that hold the brackets into the mobo?

Most coolers are installed a bit tight. Not over tightened but tight enough keep it snug in place. No need to loosen the mobo brackets

Some clamp coolers also have a tendency to put up some resistance when clamping them down.

Should I reapply thermal paste to the cpu?

After removing a cooler its recommended to apply new paste as air can get trapped if you reinstall the cooler using the thermal paste that was still on it previously

You can clean off the old paste by putting a little bit of 70% or higher rubbing alcohol onto a coffee filter or a paper towel and wipe off the old thermal paste. I recommend leaving the processor in the socket when cleaning the paste off or you risk getting paste on the pins if you try to pick it up.

If you don't know what paste to get you can get something like artic silver or this one if you wanna save a few bucks

This video will show you about how much to apply and the different methods of doing it

Is that click noise normal?

Most likely. A amd stock cooler I was putting on and eventually took off for a friend did the same thing

I've also had a couple latch on coolers that made a click sound when pulling the lever back to take it off

Reactions: Belteshazzar57
Solution
Jul 8, 2020

You can clean off the old paste by putting a little bit of 70% or higher rubbing alcohol onto a coffee filter or a paper towel and wipe off the old thermal paste. I recommend leaving the processor in the socket when cleaning the paste off or you risk getting paste on the pins if you try to pick it up.

If you don't know what paste to get you can get something like artic silver or this one if you wanna save a few bucks

This video will show you about how much to apply and the different methods of doing it

Most likely. A amd stock cooler I was putting on and eventually took off for a friend did the same thing

I've also had a couple latch on coolers that made a click sound when pulling the lever back to take it off
Thanks man! Very helpful.