[SOLVED] Really want to change drive letter on boot drive

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
I just did a reinstall of Windows 10 in order to boot from my SSD in a newly built computer. Please see https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-do-i-partition-a-8-gb-disk-safely.3680171/#post-22163889 for a lengthy account of my problems.

Windows 10 (Home) will boot from my M2 SSD with the 8 Tb disk unplugged (Yay!). But Windows sought fit to create two drives, a C: drive and a D: drive. I'm trying to reproduce the drive letters from my current computer, and I have a D: drive. So I want to assign Windows' D: drive to X:. My question is, will assigning their D: drive to X: result in my computer not booting into Windows?

Thanks for any help, Andy.

(PS, please note that I have to go out very soon, so don't worry if I don't get back to you right away.)

Solution
Thank you again for taking a look at my question. Here's the link to the screen cap Disk Management (note: the insert picture failed for some reason).

As I indicated, I want to rename D: to X:. It's not the end of the world if I don't rename it, it will mean that I will have to modify profiles and settings used by my current computer to use, e.g., M: instead of D:. But, I'd rather keep things as close to the existing system as possible.
So change it.
Right click on that space, and Change
Or, delete that D drive letter. That partition does not need one.
I'm trying to reproduce the drive letters from my current computer, and I have a D: drive. So I want to assign Windows' D: drive to X:.
My question is, will assigning their D: drive to X: result in my computer not booting into Windows?
What? You want to change OS partition letter in windows?
That is not allowed.
Windows OS partition letter should always be C: .

Well technically it is possible to do that, but it's very tricky and comes with lot of problems.
Don't do that.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Please please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

You can't just change the drive letter of the OS drive. This will end in tears.
Thank you again for taking a look at my question. Here's the link to the screen cap Disk Management (note: the insert picture failed for some reason).

As I indicated, I want to rename D: to X:. It's not the end of the world if I don't rename it, it will mean that I will have to modify profiles and settings used by my current computer to use, e.g., M: instead of D:. But, I'd rather keep things as close to the existing system as possible.

USAFRet

Titan

So change it.

Solution
I just did a reinstall of Windows 10 in order to boot from my SSD in a newly built computer. Please see https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-do-i-partition-a-8-gb-disk-safely.3680171/#post-22163889 for a lengthy account of my problems.

Windows 10 (Home) will boot from my M2 SSD with the 8 Tb disk unplugged (Yay!). But Windows sought fit to create two drives, a C: drive and a D: drive. I'm trying to reproduce the drive letters from my current computer, and I have a D: drive. So I want to assign Windows' D: drive to X:. My question is, will assigning their D: drive to X: result in my computer not booting into Windows?

Thanks for any help, Andy.

(PS, please note that I have to go out very soon, so don't worry if I don't get back to you right away.)
What does that have to do with C: partition ?

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
So change it.
Thank you again. I was just concerned that since Windows created the partition and drive letter, that the boot up would require a drive letter, just like what happened to me when I installed Windows with my 8 TB installed.