Question Really weird bug with motherboard and fan

Jun 8, 2019
I have just bought a gigabyte b250m ds3h.
Whenever I open a steam game the fans go to near max rpm and stay there even after closing the game. System information viewer doesn’t affect the fan speed, speedfan doesn’t support this motherboard. I don’t know what to do

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Check your CPU temperature using MSi Afterburner, if your processor is getting hot your fans are going to spin at high RPM, even after you're finished gaming due to it continuing to cool off. If your PC didn't get so loud before it could be a sign of your computer clogging with dust.

Jun 8, 2019
Check your CPU temperature using MSi Afterburner, if your processor is getting hot your fans are going to spin at high RPM, even after you're finished gaming due to it continuing to cool off. If your PC didn't get so loud before it could be a sign of your computer clogging with dust.
My cpu is getting nowhere near hot enough to spin the fans this much, it’s around 30-35degrees, the fans are brand new and clear of dust. I can open the game for 10 seconds then close it and the fans will stay on for ever (I have never heard them stop even after leaving it over an hour)

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
My cpu is getting nowhere near hot enough to spin the fans this much, it’s around 30-35degrees, the fans are brand new and clear of dust. I can open the game for 10 seconds then close it and the fans will stay on for ever (I have never heard them stop even after leaving it over an hour)
30-35 degrees seems low for a gaming load, what program are you using to view the temperatures?

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
A long shot would be to change your Windows power plan to balanced if it's on high performance, and change the advanced options under processor power management, system cooling policy to passive from active. Finally, if that doesn't work go into your BIOS menu before booting into windows, find any fan speed settings and change them to "quiet" or similar.

Jun 8, 2019
A long shot would be to change your Windows power plan to balanced if it's on high performance, and change the advanced options under processor power management, system cooling policy to passive from active. Finally, if that doesn't work go into your BIOS menu before booting into windows, find any fan speed settings and change them to "quiet" or similar.
I have done all of that, no effect

Jun 8, 2019
I have another fan plugged into the sysfan and they both behave the same way
Are you able to plug your CPU fan into another fan header on the motherboard? It will give you a warning on boot but maybe for whatever reason the PWM feature has failed on your board.
If I buy a fan controller, is it safe to plug my cpu fan into the fan controller or is that only for case fans

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Changing a MB is a Major change.
I would absolutely recommend a clean install of Windows.
Back up any important files/documents/favorites/etc.
Then re-format and install Windows then install all the necessary drivers (Chipset/GPU/etc./etc.).

Jun 8, 2019
Changing a MB is a Major change.
I would absolutely recommend a clean install of Windows.
Back up any important files/documents/favorites/etc.
Then re-format and install Windows then install all the necessary drivers (Chipset/GPU/etc./etc.).
I have re installed windows since and there is still no change. Nothing I do to change the fan speed actually has any effect

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Try using Argus Monitor instead of Speedfan (which is very outdated):
https://www.argusmonitor.com/en/index.php

Or you could try using APP Center and System Information Viewer / Smart Fan 5 from the Utilities Download page for your new MB.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl-utility

This thread may help you too:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Problem solved, I’m just a massive idiot. My cpu fan wasn’t going mental it was my gpu fan. One of the fans was blocked by a cable so the other 2 were freaking out to compensate. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time but thank you for your help

Reactions: DMAN999