Really weird freeze/lock up issue.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
About 4 hours ago, prior to writing this, something very strange happened.

I just installed a gtx evga 1070 ftw card yesterday and I built this system this passed February, nothing I have is overclovked. System runs great and my only complaint is sometimes, at very, really random times, I will see an ever so slight stutter when moving my cursor and every time this happens my heart skips a beat thinking something is wrong, but of course, nothing is ever wrong.

Tonight I was on skype with a friend, playing a game of magic the gathering on magic the gathering online and listening to a stream in the background using livestreamer from GitHub to stream through Vic player.

All of the sudden, I could still talk on Skype and move my mouse, open task manager, but nothing I did would work, nothing I clicked would respond. The sound of the stream was looping and if I closed task manager, the words task manager got stuck on the screen. I tried opening Firefox but it would open, everything froze up, but skype still worked. I then used Ctrl alt delete, it successfully opened the manager to no avail. I tried to hit restart and the computer didn't care. I hit restart from the Ctrl alt del screen and the computer just hung and I was still able to talk to my friend on skype fine. I then forced it down.

After I booted back up, the OS was choppy for a few seconds and I started to panick, the task bar, Skype nor Firefox responded for a few seconds and then things went back to normal, but now mtgo was crashing upon startup. Luckily a clean uninstall and reinstall in safe mode of mtgo fixed it and ran fine the rest of the night along with skype and the stream I was watching.

I scanned thoroughly for malware, used the repair all in one tool from bleepingconputer and nothing wrong was detected. I checked the event viewer and it did show some things crashed but I did not recognize the names and just left it alone. Right now things are fine but every time that little cursor stutter happens my heart skips a beat and the stutter has happened since day one on Windows 7.

I am on the Anneversery edition and have heard of Windows 10 freezing stories, but man this one freaked me [strike]the hell[/strike] out.

Anyone have any ideas on what the heck happened? Thank you.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I7 4790 non k
Evga gtx 1070 ftw
16b ram ddr3 I think, not quite sure if it's ddr3 or 4
Msi Z97s krait gaming edition
850w corsair gold power supply
212 evo cooler
SSD is what the OS boots from
Regular HD as an external

Nothing is overclocked as well.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

Anything I can do in the event it happens again? Besides panicking

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3213724/evga-ftw-1070-micron.html

So basically I purchased my new EVGA FTW GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 . When I open up GPU it says I have Micron memory . As of right now I'm not disappointed. I just don't know much between Samsung and Micron . I'm not going to be over clocking . So what's the real difference ?
Any huge performance gaps ?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
So far the card has been running very well since the hickup and the asus card is too big for my case, as far as gigabyte is concerned well like I like evga and this card so I will stick with them.

I am not a big oc user so that doesn't matter to me at this time. Besides that what else would I be missing out on? I have also heard that the Samsung memory has the same problems as the micron but could also just be luck.

I don't want the hasstle of returning the card and what not, it's just to much for a problem that may have only been a 1 time thing (please god let this be the case) or could happen with a different brand card altogether.

I will look into the firmware update and see what happens.