[SOLVED] Really weird high temps for gpu

May 8, 2020
hey guys,
I found that my GPU has very high temps even tho airflow i think is not bad. Basically even when i launch start PC launch button, GPU is around 35ish and after 5-10 mins its 55°C idle, had to turn fans a bit faster around 1000rpm to get 40 °C, I've bought a new 27 inch monitor 2k resolution and when i tried to play The division 2 for example with v-sync off, my GPU reaches like 85°C which is not normal for my setup i guess. Because i saw some benchmarks videos in 2k resolution for the same game and they got like around 40-60°C while full underload. Can you guys suggest me something, because im little bit tired wasting my money for new cases that dont even lower my temps. Btw, my cpu in underload is around 70. Hope you guys wont skip my thread and will give me some advices. Thank you :)

and one more thing , to play it comfortable with mid gpu temps I have to lower my fps limit to like 70, sadly that i cant realize all potential of my 165hz monitor :C

my pcpartpicker is
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JJqqyk
btw i couldnt find my case so here is - MSI forge 100m

Last edited:
Solution
How can i make it even better? more fans inside?
Remove the psu shroud, if possible. You may be against that idea, but it has been shown to affect gpu temps some:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwvfRwFx7ZM

The case has 3 preinstalled fans: 2x 120mm front intake and 1x 120 rear exhaust. I would suggest adding:
-1 more 120mm front intake
-1x 140mm, or 2 more 120mm in the top as exhaust. I say 1 or 2, because if the first fan is 'in front of' the cpu cooler, it can end up drawing cool air out of the PC before it can feed said cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Idling at 55C is fine. It's not hurting the gpu at all - you can leave the fans off.
Mine idles fan off at 45C. I'm not doing anything with it at the time... when I'm ready to play, I crank it up to 100% in Afterburner.

2)V-sync off. You're telling the gpu not to hold anything back; pull all out all the stops - of course it's going to run hotter. You then adjust your gpu's fan curve to accommodate.
Stock curves suck; setting your own is always recommended.

3)Benchmarks... yes, these users that tend to not share all their settings, nor the exact components of their PCs!
Too many variables. You need to take those with a grain of salt.

4)Do the case airflow test. Remove the front and side panels, run that game again, and note the max gpu and cpu temps.
A case that doesn't restrict airflow heavily shouldn't see more than like 5C lower temps.

May 8, 2020
1)Idling at 55C is fine. It's not hurting the gpu at all - you can leave the fans off.
Mine idles fan off at 45C. I'm not doing anything with it at the time... when I'm ready to play, I crank it up to 100% in Afterburner.

2)V-sync off. You're telling the gpu not to hold anything back; pull all out all the stops - of course it's going to run hotter. You then adjust your gpu's fan curve to accommodate.
Stock curves suck; setting your own is always recommended.

3)Benchmarks... yes, these users that tend to not share all their settings, nor the exact components of their PCs!
Too many variables. You need to take those with a grain of salt.

4)Do the case airflow test. Remove the front and side panels, run that game again, and note the max gpu and cpu temps.
A case that doesn't restrict airflow heavily shouldn't see more than like 5C lower temps.
Thanks for the answer. I tried with open side panel, didnt notice any difference. Tbh I'm little bit scared to crank gpu fans to 100% xd, is it safe? like noise ofc will be but what about safety?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You didn't remove the front panel?

You don't have to run your fans as high as I do. That's simply what I choose to do, because I'm not bothered by noise - it's usually drowned out by whatever I'm doing anyway.
100% is safe. Fan operation is designed around that anyway. Whenever you examine a fan's specs, that's for 100% fan duty. Some manufacturers include lower rpm specs, but still...

May 8, 2020
You didn't remove the front panel?

You don't have to run your fans as high as I do. That's simply what I choose to do, because I'm not bothered by noise - it's usually drowned out by whatever I'm doing anyway.
100% is safe. Fan operation is designed around that anyway. Whenever you examine a fan's specs, that's for 100% fan duty. Some manufacturers include lower rpm specs, but still...
I cant remove front panel, only side panel, but I have a grid in the front panel

May 8, 2020
Oh... I guess it's not too bad, since it's a mesh panel and all.
Yeah, case airflow is already pretty good.

I'd suggest trying a higher fan curve. If you can get it running closer to 80C, that'd be great.
Currently im running like 80+% gpu fans withiout fps limit and got around 65-75C ( depends on zone where im looking at) is it good temps?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How can i make it even better? more fans inside?
Remove the psu shroud, if possible. You may be against that idea, but it has been shown to affect gpu temps some:

The case has 3 preinstalled fans: 2x 120mm front intake and 1x 120 rear exhaust. I would suggest adding:
-1x 140mm, or 2 more 120mm in the top as exhaust. I say 1 or 2, because if the first fan is 'in front of' the cpu cooler, it can end up drawing cool air out of the PC before it can feed said cooler.

Solution
May 8, 2020

Do you think there is enough space for one more 120mm front intake? Because it looks like that 2 is the maximum right there

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okey, can you suggest some good 120mm fans? Because i have completely zero knowledge about it xd
Well, I'll try to cover a range of prices: [some fans are available in mulitpacks]
Arctic Bionix P120 or P12
Noctua Redux NF-P12
Deepcool RF 120 or RF 120M
Corsair SP120
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 or the High Speed version
Noctua NF-A12x25 or NF-F12
Corsair ML120 or ML120 Pro

May 8, 2020
Well, I'll try to cover a range of prices: [some fans are available in mulitpacks]
Arctic Bionix P120 or P12
Noctua Redux NF-P12
Deepcool RF 120 or RF 120M
Corsair SP120
be quiet! Silent Wings 3 or the High Speed version
Noctua NF-A12x25 or NF-F12
Corsair ML120 or ML120 Pro
One more question about fans that could be on the top, if you did check my pcpartpicker , there is REALLY big air cooler bequiet dark rock pro 4, and I'm asking if those fans will be useful? Sorry for my bad english, not my native