Question Really weird performance issues, HELP NEEDED!

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (no OC)
GPU: Gainward Ghost RTX 2060 Super (no OC)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO (500GB)
PSU: Super Flower Leadex lll 650W

RAM: HyperX Predator 3200mhz (2x8GB)
MOBO: MSI X570 Gaming Plus (7C37vA7)

Everything is up to date, including every firm/software all the way to the OS.

Video of the issue

(The horribly choppy camera movement is best seen at the beginning of the video when I jump in-game and turn the screen to the right)

I get this "screen-tearing"-like choppyness when turning the camera in game. I previously had an RX5700, which had similar issues, but they were not that severe. As one can see my fps does not dip or anything like that. I don't know what's causing this horrible performance and englightening insights are massively needed.

I play more demanding games too which run near perfectly well. Sometimes I do notice similar kind of "choppiness" tho and it seems to happen when there are a lot of objects on the screen, yet my fps is still not affected at all. And again only when moving the mouse, up and down or left to right. I assume this is happening all the time in those games too, but is harder to notice.

The gameplay is from MW3 (DX9). My RX5700 seemed to have random choppiness when turning the camera, but now it's certain spots that are always causing this horrible effect when turning the mouse around them. It looks like my fps is 25 even though it's perfectly stable at 144!?

I've tried a trillion things and I'm not really looking for the classic "use DDU, reinstall Windows, update BIOS"-type of suggestions. Oh lord I wish those would've worked.

Ideas:
As the problem occurs when the mouse is being moved, I'm in fact using an older Corsair M65 mouse from 2011. Could that have anything to do with this issue? I've only seen posts about stuttering when moving the mouse tho, which is not the case here.

Using any kind of Windowed etc. mode makes the issue 800x time more worse, could there be something within Windows that's interfering with the game(s)? It makes the game look like I have 25 fps when it's sitting at 144.....

Could the monitor play any role in this? (AOC G2590FX)

Additional:
It seems like the video's 1080p60 quality is making the issue a bit harder to notice, making the situation look a bit better than it is.

Thanks so much to anyone that can shed some light on what's going on.

UPDATE: Ending every "Runtime Broker"-task (6x) seemed to help quite a lot. The issue is still present, but not as bad.

Last edited:

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey!

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (no OC)
Gainward Ghost RTX 2060 Super (no OC)
HyperX Predator 3200mhz (2x8GB)
MSI X570 Gaming Plus (7C37vA7)
Super Flower Leadex lll 650W
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

After continuous troubleshooting, today I managed to make a seemingly valuable discovery. When the in-game camera movement is extremely choppy by moving the mouse, doing the same with keybinds there's nothing, absolutely nothing, everything is butter smooth. Then I turn the camera again with my mouse and it looks like the screen is tearing everywhere and fps is 20, even though there's no tearing and fps is stable at 144. And the thing is, it does not stutter, just sort of destroys the graphics.

The thing I don't really understand is that the horrible performance when moving the mouse is most significant in places that have a lot of "going on" objects, vehicles, details. And not everywhere, not sure how this is linked to the issue. Once again in these spots where the mouse movement is abhorrent, everything is stellar with keybinds…..

What could be causing this? I'm using an old Corsair M65 mouse from 2011 and it's using some ancient Windows' own drivers (10.0.19041.1 from 2006, says they're the latest when I try to update). I'll be able to test my friends mouse tomorrow, unfortunately I do not have a spare one with me at the moment.

Any possible insight is massively appreciated!

Last edited:
Try a different mouse, or check the laser on the bottom to make sure dirt, hair, food and other "bits" of stuff haven't ended up in the little cavity where the sensor shines down at. Honestly, if the mouse is from 2011, it's probably time to replace it though.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'll be able to try a couple of different mice in a couple of days and also a Zowie monitor if there's any possibility that my monitor could have anything to do with this.

Is there anything else that comes to your mind "softwarewise"? Since the mouse-movement in BIOS is absolutely disgusting even on BIOS UI-standards, does it rule out that Windows could be causing the issue, pointing the finger more firmly at the mouse itself. Could there be something wrong with my mobo's USB-ports?

Another thing to point out is that I replaced my RX5700 with the 2060 Super mentioned, which made overall gaming performance five times smoother, but it sort of reinforced this mouse movement issue (damn it). Got no clue how and why.

If there's anything that comes to your mind it's greatly appreciated. The thing I'm most confused about is the fact that the mouse movement is @ it's absolute worst when there are a lot of objects on the screen. Don't know why that is since the GPU is perfectly fine and functioning as desired.

Hahah yeah. Old mouse, but a great one. Can I even find one with a metal body anymore..... Seems like it's all plastic now.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

The fact that it happens in the BIOS as well is what leads me to believe it is either a dirty, or faulty mouse. Normally, we don't see mouse related problems in the BIOS other than the fact that mouse movement in the BIOS for most motherboards is just plain slow compared to in Windows, even on boards that allow you to increase the mouse speed in the BIOS. So I'd say yes, it probably rules out it being a Windows problem.

You can always try downloading and creating a bootable Ubuntu USB to run it off of and see if there is normal or same behavior in ubuntu. Costs you nothing to do this.

yaspresents

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
So, last night I opened the mouse, cleaned the laser with alcohol with no success.

Knowing that I'm able to return it if required, I bought a 710 Rival-mouse today which did not help. I tried all the different polling rates and so on as well with once again, no success.

I also updated the BIOS to the latest version (7C37vA90), which had a mentioning of enhanced mouse compatibility, but as you might guess, no luck.

Lastly I tried my old 60hz Acer monitor. I ran the Modern Warfare via steam (no fps unlocker software) & it was just a mess. I had this same choppyness when moving the mouse now when I was moving as well. Everything was optimized for 60hz..... Moving the mouse in Windows with the 60hz monitor is close to micro-stuttering and it seems to have this shadow/trail following the cursor.

I'm way too confused about what is going on. Do you have any idea why the choppy mouse movement took a different "form" with the NVIDIA card, making the issue worse? Whereas it previously occured randomly with no clear pattern, it's now always the same spots and not random.

To you Darkbreeze and anyone who might be observing my journey with this issue, any kind of insights are massively appreciated. There's nothing "too stupid/weird" to suggest.

I'm going to try disabling HPET when I get home as I randomly just remembered that tweak. Prolly won't help at all since FPS is not even the issue.

Last edited: