[SOLVED] Really WEIRD PROBLEM NEED HELP ASAP !!!!!

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Hello, i got a weird problem been searching google for answers but dont find anyone with this kinda problem and no fixes, maybe i can get some help here hopefully.

Long story short got a problem with my HDD WD5000AAKS, its a really old HDD that worked really good up untill 1 day, so to start off with some info im running SSD drive 500gb it works flawless no problems and my pc is intel i7 4790k / gpu MSI GTX 970 / 16gb ram so nothing is faulty with my pc but this old HDD worked really good been using it for storing video files so they are kinda big ranging from 1gb- 15gb and its read and write is fast 100mb transfering speed so nothing was wrong i keep using it like normal, did not notice anything bad with it untill 1 day that i added some files to it and it just went granny speed all of a sudden i mean super super slow.

And with that i thought hmm ok i try restart pc worked it went faster for like 10 min then start dropping without me even doing anything then i restart again and this time my boot time went from 15 seconds to like 4 min to get to windows login screen by this time i thought alright this drive maybe is dying so i removed like 100gb off it since i thought maybe it was to much stored on it so went from like 80gb out of 500gb to about 200gb/500gb it did some trick since it worked little faster after that so i started to transfer my files to another SSD drive and it transfered at normal speeds which it always did, then my HDD started getting really slow again dropping to about 700kbs transferspeeds which takes forever so i thought i try restart again, this time it gets stuck at the dots spinning after boot menu, and it wont even start up anymore onlyway i can get it to run was switch to safemode boot and it still took about 6 min to start but finally starts windows i put over some files for about 10 min then it gets so slow that i can barely do anything, i dont know why it makes my boot slow and pc slow even tho i have an SSD and if i removed the Slow HDD my pc works all normal so its 100% the HDD that cause it and i have tryed switching cables to new ports in motherboard and tryed with other cables also tryed another HDD also works all normal.

So now when i try starting pc with the slow HDD it just get stucks at the dots screen after boot menu and it sitt there for about 6-10 min thinking then i get disk check and it cant even do that disk check since its so slow already by that time that is would take like 8 hours to do the disk check, so to me it seems like its dying from speed, and its no weird sounds or noises coming from it either all sounds perfectly normal.

I tryed open the HDD case and the mirror like Disk inside is super flawless no marks no dust the dust filter inside looks new i can not see any flaws in the HDD inside, i only opended it since its so slow, i checked videos about it and eveything looks clean and good maybe its the motor that is slow i dont know.

i just wonder why my SDD gets affected by the HDD it has no windows on it, i use my SSD for all things and HDD is for storage only there is nothing else on it, and everyone on google says put SSD first on boot menu and HDD after and i have done that and if i disable HDD my PC start normal again, and if i Enable HDD my pc Refuses to start up its like the HDD is being used to start pc up which it should not do when its not first in list on boot menu.

If anyone can give some light on the issuse i appreciate it i heard that i can replace the Chip on the HDD with exactly same model number and date on the HDD and that can fix slow drive not starting i will try that if that is the only way since i really need those files on my HDD i dont wanna lose it, and i know i should have not used that old drive in the first place but it worked so flawless i just thought i would get more warning signs before it just gave in.

Last edited:
Solution
Rule#1 - All Harddrives & SSD's fail. Some right out of the box, some a week or month later, and some 10 yrs later.

And since you opened the drive up , it's time to go shopping anyways.

Personally, it sounds as if the heads or platters have weakened to the point of not being able to read or be read.
Just be glad you didn't have irreplaceable stuff on there. Rule#1 is why backups are always important for that stuff.

Remeca

Reputable
What does crystaldiskinfo say about the health of the hdd?

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
What does crystaldiskinfo say about the health of the hdd?

But pc wont start up at all with the bad HDD it gets stuck after boot screen directly and it never gets past it i can leave pc for 30 min and its at the dots spinning in a circle, so how can i run a system check on the HDD if im not in windows i know i can use windows installer and open CMD and i have done that and run chkdsk but nothing happens when i do just seems to make the drive worse, but i mean the drive feels healthy just so slow that it cant think or something.

What i most wanna know is why is my pc getting affected by it in boot when i plug it out pc start directly fast and when its plugged in it wont start why would the pc need the HDD to start some how is there a setting to close off that it skips the HDD in start untill windows has booted up then it starts the HDD?

popatim

Titan
Rule#1 - All Harddrives & SSD's fail. Some right out of the box, some a week or month later, and some 10 yrs later.

And since you opened the drive up , it's time to go shopping anyways.

Personally, it sounds as if the heads or platters have weakened to the point of not being able to read or be read.
Just be glad you didn't have irreplaceable stuff on there. Rule#1 is why backups are always important for that stuff.

Solution