[SOLVED] Really Weird Problem with Power Supplies in my House

Jul 26, 2020
So recently I got a new desk and put my PC on top of the desk. I have now noticed a very annoying buzzing sound coming from my PSU. I reached out to EVGA who agreed to send me a new PSU. The new PSU was still making this buzzing sound. To confirm, I removed the PSU from the PC and it was definitely coming from the PSU.

I went a step further and disconnected the PSU from my PC entirely and plugged it into different outlets around my house and the noise STILL persists. No connection to my PC whatsoever, just the PSU and the outlet. I have done this now with three PSUs - two of them the same EVGA model and one of them a Corsair PSU.

Does this mean that the outlets in my house are all just messed up? I am beyond confused with this. I am about to just put my PC back on the ground because I cannot stand this sound.

Solution
I am leaning towards a grounding issue. While it doesn't carry current it is a zero volt reference and can make things go nuts. Take the psu to another house/building and plug it in see if it still makes noise. If it does it is a bad psu. If it doesn't it is your household wiring. I would check voltage between ground -> line, ground-> Neutral, Line -> Neutral. My bet is you have a ground floating around or no ground at all. How old is your house? Do your plugins have two or three holes to plug into?
So recently I got a new desk and put my PC on top of the desk. I have now noticed a very annoying buzzing sound coming from my PSU. I reached out to EVGA who agreed to send me a new PSU. The new PSU was still making this buzzing sound. To confirm, I removed the PSU from the PC and it was definitely coming from the PSU.

I went a step further and disconnected the PSU from my PC entirely and plugged it into different outlets around my house and the noise STILL persists. No connection to my PC whatsoever, just the PSU and the outlet. I have done this now with three PSUs - two of them the same EVGA model and one of them a Corsair PSU.

Does this mean that the outlets in my house are all just messed up? I am beyond confused with this. I am about to just put my PC back on the ground because I cannot stand this sound.
Odd have you been able to try plugging them in at a seprate place from yours take them to a friends try them there.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
They're buzzing even when PC is shut down ? You have some interference from a piece of electrical equipment in your house or otherwise nearby (on the same mains) which your PSU filters out, and it's transient filter coils emit it as noise.

Outlets grounded?

Could also be interference from something creating EMI. Motor? Car charger? Old microwave oven?

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am leaning towards a grounding issue. While it doesn't carry current it is a zero volt reference and can make things go nuts. Take the psu to another house/building and plug it in see if it still makes noise. If it does it is a bad psu. If it doesn't it is your household wiring. I would check voltage between ground -> line, ground-> Neutral, Line -> Neutral. My bet is you have a ground floating around or no ground at all. How old is your house? Do your plugins have two or three holes to plug into?

Solution