[SOLVED] Really weird problem

Oct 17, 2019
Okay so, I will start off by listing my computer components and then describe my issue.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3800x
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
PSU - 600w bronze
Motherboard - ASRock AB 350 pro 4
16gb RAM Teamforce
Deepcool Watercooler
1tb SSD
1tb HDD

Okay so, I upgraded from a ryzen 1600 processor and a GTX 1060 to my current build, and everything before hand was running fun, just a little laggy. Thus the upgrade.

After upgrading, my computer runs fine and can run all day and night provided I do not launch a game or my oculus, as soon as I did that my computer screen went black, all my RGB in my computer turned off, I would try to turn the computer back on with the power button but it wouldn't work unless I switched the psu off then on again.

It would keep doing this whenever I launched any game..

So I had an idea of taking up my other psie slot with my old GTX 1060 and just not hook it up or anything and guess what... It works..

BUT I should not have to have it in there is my issue. I want to sell it to a friend but I can't because my system won't run without it in there for some reason!

Solution
You're attempting to run a power hungry 3800x on a budget 3 phase VRM motherboard while at the same time trying to run a 5700xt...my guess, based on what you've posted and assuming BIOS settings and drivers were properly handled during the upgrade, is that your PSU is not capable of handling the load launching a game puts on the 12v rail of the PSU. In other words I believe you're trying to run a high end CPU and GPU on a low end PSU and motherboard...it's not a good mix...something has to give, and in this case it's likely your PSU. I would recommend replacing it with a quality 650-700w PSU like this one
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186

There are of course no guarantee's...
PSU - 600w bronze

"...I would try to turn the computer back on with the power button but it wouldn't work unless I switched the psu off then on again. "

You need a better power supply...the one you have can not provide enough output to handle your new CPU & GPU.

ben001

Distinguished
Also, it's an EVGA 600w bronze been running for about 2yrs?
Computer problems are sometimes hard to understand as they are all related to each other. In this forum, I have seen many questions comes out as vague and later gets solved by our respective members with their views and experience. Asking for more details sometimes is common here, as it helps us to reach towards the goal.

Based on your above statement " If it cannot handle it, then why does it work fine if I take up my other PCIe slot with my old GTX 1060" I think you have already answered your question. Thankfully, your motherboard has 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 slots. :)

Oct 17, 2019
Based on your above statement " If it cannot handle it, then why does it work fine if I take up my other PCIe slot with my old GTX 1060" I think you have already answered your question. Thankfully, your motherboard has 2 PCIe 3.0 x16 slots. :)

I am still a little bit confused, because as soon as I remove my GTX 1060 from my PCIe slot and try to launch a game, my computer will crash.
Please note, the GTX is NOT connected to power one bit, only taking up PCIe slot.

My Rx 5700 XT is my only powered GPU but if it in there by itself it crashes my system when trying to game.

ben001

Distinguished
We have to react based on your answers, so we could help you out.

" Okay so, I upgraded from a ryzen 1600 processor and a GTX 1060 to my current build, and everything before hand was running fun, just a little laggy. Thus the upgrade. " I see you have upgraded your CPU and GPU here. Please clarify once again, what is your current system specification?. As I am not clear about that.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
So lemme get this straight...

You physically built the system, initially with a Ryzen 1600 CPU and GTX 1060 GPU? Installed the OS (Windows 10, I presume), drivers, software and games? Then you ''upgraded'' by swapping in the Ryzen 3800X and an RX 5700XT? Correct?

Did you CLEAR CMOS after the CPU install? Take it from someone who didn't. I swapped out an FX-6300 for a FX-8350 on a system, and Windows went through it's ''found new hardware'' and reboot process, and it booted fine to Windows, but was unstable as all hell!! Run Excel? CrAsH! Play movie? CrAsH! Transfer Files cRaSh! The system may boot and operate even if you don't do it, but you will forever be ''chasing ghosts''. Also, upgrade to the latest BIOS Revision. Do these first, if you haven't already, then post back to me...

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
1.) Did you save or otherwise record your BIOS settings BEFORE you changed out the CPU and flashed the BIOS?
2.) If not, how did you reset the BIOS parameters (memory timings, etc) after you flashed it?
3.) And you are saying that it DOESN'T CrAsH with the GTX 1060 re-installed in the other PCI-e x16 slot (but not hooked up to PCI-e POWER)?
4.) Are you able to game properly on the RX 5700XT in this situation (with the GTX 1060 ''installed''), or does the system just ''not crash''?
5.) Did you run the BIOS memory test?
6.) Have you downloaded and run any type of system testing software, like OCCT, MemTEST86, etc?

Otherwise, what we have here...is failure to comunikate!!

When you ''replaced'' the GTX 1060, did you ''uninstall'' the drivers? Since we are dealing with two different manufacturers, NVIDIA and ATI/AMD, and whilst these two video cards do essentially the same thing, their DRIVERS and INSTRUCTION SETS are vastly different. It sounds like the PC is trying to communicate with the GTX 1060, and when it is not plugged into the system, it hangs/crashes the whole OS. This ''little problem'' may not have cropped up if you had upgraded to the GTX 2080, but that is not the case. Regardless, your first step is to ensure ALL THE DRIVERS for the GTX 1060 are PROPERLY REMOVED!! (should be an ''Uninstall'' tab/button in the NVIDIA Menu) If this fails to solve the problem, then you will more-than-likely have to back-up your system, do a complete system wipe and reinstall.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/18660063/amd-radeon-5700-xt-dent-announcement-price-release-date

Oct 17, 2019
  1. Never changed bios settings before, never needed too
  2. Memory timing, etc always has been on auto, etc. Never touched it
I don't want to mess anything up
3. That is absolutely correct

4. Yes so long as my GTX 1060 is in my other PCIe slot I am able to game fine.

5/6. No I haven't done any tests or anything I'm not really the best when it comes to that kind of stuff

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Here's the thing...
A BIOS Update not only fixes bugs or patches software deficiencies, it also updates BASE SETTINGS, so if a Motherboard came from the factory with, for example, certain base memory timings or CPU support...others could be ''added'' with a Firmware Update. I had an older AM3 board that did not have DDR3-1866, DDR3-2133 or DDR-2400 memory timings. When I flashed the BIOS, VOILA! there they were! In this case, my ''base memory timings'' also went from DDR3-1333 on ''Auto'' to DDR3-1600. So ''AUTO'' does not equate to ''MAGIC!'' or stand for:

All-encompasing
Universal
Timings &
Other settings!

For my reference...this is your board?

https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/E200/ASR_AB350_PRO4_01.png

And, have you NEVER been in the BIOS??

Oct 17, 2019
Here's the thing...
A BIOS Update not only fixes bugs or patches software deficiencies, it also updates BASE SETTINGS, so if a Motherboard came from the factory with, for example, certain base memory timings or CPU support...others could be ''added'' with a Firmware Update. I had an older AM3 board that did not have DDR3-1866, DDR3-2133 or DDR-2400 memory timings. When I flashed the BIOS, VOILA! there they were! In this case, my ''base memory timings'' also went from DDR3-1333 on ''Auto'' to DDR3-1600. So ''AUTO'' does not equate to ''MAGIC!'' or stand for:

All-encompasing
Universal
Timings &
Other settings!

For my reference...this is your board?

https://cdn-reichelt.de/bilder/web/xxl_ws/E200/ASR_AB350_PRO4_01.png

And, have you NEVER been in the BIOS??

Yeah that's my motherboard

I've been in to the bios a few times but I don't really know what I'm doing in there so I never really touch anything

You're attempting to run a power hungry 3800x on a budget 3 phase VRM motherboard while at the same time trying to run a 5700xt...my guess, based on what you've posted and assuming BIOS settings and drivers were properly handled during the upgrade, is that your PSU is not capable of handling the load launching a game puts on the 12v rail of the PSU. In other words I believe you're trying to run a high end CPU and GPU on a low end PSU and motherboard...it's not a good mix...something has to give, and in this case it's likely your PSU. I would recommend replacing it with a quality 650-700w PSU like this one
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186

There are of course no guarantee's since you might have a defective motherboard or other component...but based on the info you've provided if it was my system I would replace the PSU.

More info on your motherboard is available here...my take away from the video is the 3800x will "probably" work ok if you have decent air flow across the motherboards VRM area. The reality is your motherboard is better suited to 4 and 6 core CPU's.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q

Solution