Question Realtek audio glitch after changing motherboard

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
I used to have an Asus m5a97 plus motherboard and when I went into the realtek hd audio manager and plugged my headphones in it always asked me what I plugged in. There were two options: one was speakers and one was headphones, and now I changed my motherboard to an ASRock b450m pro4 and I installed the new realtek drivers and now when I plug it in at the back it doesn't show any options and with the old one I didn't even have to unplug it I just clicked the green circle and I could select those two options again and now I can't. My question is why doesn't it show the two options it used to? It automatically sets it to Speaker config, the same when I plug it in at the front, I want to change it to headphone settings because the speaker settings are too quiet even at 100 windows sound and max sound on headphones. Realtek hd audio manager version is 6.0.1.8403, DirectX version 12.0, audio codec ALC892

No, I didn't

When installing a new MB with different hardware, a full reinstall is generally indicated. Subtle to blatant problems may arise otherwise. It appears you may be encountering one of those subtle errors

Sysprepping the drive may help, but not guaranteed. If sysprepping, you will need to reactivate your installation.
This can be done with an a Microsoft account attached to the install, if you don't want to pull out your W10 box off the shelf to get your key.
If your Win 10 license is an OEM license, it may not transfer.
You generally run sysprep with the commands generalize, shutdown, and oobe (out of box experience)

You will lose your installed programs in either case (full install or sysprep)

In either case, back up your important data before doing that.

Clean install with drive deletion / recreation recommended. This allows you to clean out cruft from the MFT

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
When installing a new MB with different hardware, a full reinstall is generally indicated. Subtle to blatant problems may arise otherwise. It appears you may be encountering one of those subtle errors

Sysprepping the drive may help, but not guaranteed. If sysprepping, you will need to reactivate your installation.
This can be done with an a Microsoft account attached to the install, if you don't want to pull out your W10 box off the shelf to get your key.
If your Win 10 license is an OEM license, it may not transfer.
You generally run sysprep with the commands generalize, shutdown, and oobe (out of box experience)

You will lose your installed programs in either case (full install or sysprep)

In either case, back up your important data before doing that.

Clean install with drive deletion / recreation recommended. This allows you to clean out cruft from the MFT
I've just reinstalled Windows and I installed the realtek hd audio manager from my motherboards website and it still doesn't ask me what I plugged in so my headphones are still quiet.

Driver 2.81 MAY be helpful if you haven't already tried: Helpful for SOME people, and SOME issues, depending on how far your MB maker tweaked the basic sound.

I am assuming you have already gone into the audio manager and manually looked for your audio output there?

Last edited:

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
Driver 2.81 MAY be helpful if you haven't already tried: Helpful for SOME people, and SOME issues, depending on how far your MB maker tweaked the basic sound.

I am assuming you have already gone into the audio manager and manually looked for your audio output there?
I just installed 2.81 and it's literally the exact same I had before, and yes I have gone in the audio manager and checked every setting and also I don't have the ''disable the pop-up window'' or something like that in the settings, I also ticked the ''disable front panel jack detection'' which did nothing, also when I untick that box and plug my headphones in the front headphone jack the volume is much louder but the bass sounds awful it's like there isn't any bass at all, I also went in the audio manager and clicked on the green circle which used to pop up a window asking me what I plugged in: Headphones or Speakers, but on this motherboard if I click on any of the circles it just brings me to the speaker or microphone tab.

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
Oh and I forgot to mention I used to have a Realtek HD Audio Virtual output or something like that and now I don't have that aswell, did I mess up the wiring or something or does it just not come with it?

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
I've just unplugged and plugged back the front panel jacks and I plugged in my headphones and the sound is waaaay louder than before and the bass is better a little bit but it's like more high pitched and isn't as good as the bass from the back panel, is there any way to adjust the bass or maybe plugging it in the back audio jacks and somehow make my headphones as loud as plugging them in at the front panel and have better bass?

D

Deleted member 14196

Get a USB external DAC. Schiit Fulla will be more than adequate. It can get so loud it’ll blow your ears off

Now you say you reinstalled windows but what does that mean? Does that mean you did a clean install whereby you format the entire drive wiping out all partitions and start cleaning? If not you’re still heading for problems

Stev3y

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
Get a USB external DAC. Schiit Fulla will be more than adequate. It can get so loud it’ll blow your ears off

Now you say you reinstalled windows but what does that mean? Does that mean you did a clean install whereby you format the entire drive wiping out all partitions and start cleaning? If not you’re still heading for problems
I formatted every drive I had