[SOLVED] Realtek Audio is significantly reducing my mic quality

kanyegibbs

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Hello all,
I have a custom built PC with the B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard. I have tested my mic (which is a in-built attachement on my Sennheiser Momentum earphones) on both my phone and my laptop, and the mic quality is fine on both of these devices. However, when I connect to my PC the mic has background static noises, is softer in volume and of lower quality. I have also installed the latest drivers on the MSI site for my specific motherboard.

What could be the problem and the solution to this? If I buy a cheap external sound card that costs around $10 on amazon will I experience the same microphone quality that I experience when I connected it to my phone and laptop?

Thank you, very much appreciated :)

Solution
Which Momentum you do own? I count at least 3 variants of that series in Sennheiser's portfolio. If you've got the earbuds connected via analog, are you using a splitter between the earphones(or headphones) and the analog audio output ports? If not, what BIOS version are you working with and what version of Windows 10 are you on? Ideally you should be on version 20H2. I would advise against buying an aftermarket soundcard since it'd be the same in terms of driver support or worse than what you have.

You're advised to uninstall your soundcard drivers and reinstall them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Provided you've got the latest BIOS version and the OS isn't corrupt and/or is the latest version.

Lutfij

Titan
Which Momentum you do own? I count at least 3 variants of that series in Sennheiser's portfolio. If you've got the earbuds connected via analog, are you using a splitter between the earphones(or headphones) and the analog audio output ports? If not, what BIOS version are you working with and what version of Windows 10 are you on? Ideally you should be on version 20H2. I would advise against buying an aftermarket soundcard since it'd be the same in terms of driver support or worse than what you have.

You're advised to uninstall your soundcard drivers and reinstall them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Provided you've got the latest BIOS version and the OS isn't corrupt and/or is the latest version.

Reactions: kanyegibbs
Solution

kanyegibbs

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019

The earphone model is called sennheiser MOMENTUM in ear. link: https://en-au.sennheiser.com/momentum-headphones-in-ear

And yes I am using a splitter (2 male to 1 female) to connect the earphones to the PC. I know its not the splitter's problem because I have replaced them with new ones and audio quality is still the same.

In terms of BIOS I assume you mean motherboard? (sorry I am not too tech savvy :/) I bought my motherboard around 2 months ago and I haven't updated or touched the BIOS at all after unboxing it.

My windows version is Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.928).

Sorry but I'm not sure how to uninstall soundcard drivers and reinstall them. (i'm not sure where to find the 'installer' which you are directing me to right click)

Also for the aftermarket soundcard, won't it cut out the static noises and prevent the lowering of my mic quality as it is obviously something to do with Realtek? But ofc this is my last resort if I end up unable to find a solution.

MUCH LOVE for your time btw.