Question Realtek drivers don't detect headset mic and won't work with the Steelseries app ?

Jan 21, 2023
I have a Steelseries Arctis Prime headset, and Realtek drivers on a Gigabyte b450m mobo. The headset mic cannot be accessed anywhere on my pc. In the steelseries GG app I believe the headset is supposed to show up in the engine area, but there's nothing. I believe this is because when I plug in my headphones instead of showing its name, it just shows "Realtek(R) Audio" is there any way to fix this? Or would I need a different brand of motherboard? Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
You should not need a different brand of motherboard.

Reinstall the referenced GG app. The installed version could be out of date, buggy, or corrupted.

Other things

The problem may be with or related to the physical plugs and ports in three different ways:

1) Mappings (TS, TRS, TRRS):

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

TLDR version - the headset's wiring is not a match to the PC's ports. Or an adapter/splitter is required. Or some adapter (if present) is not truly "adapting".

2) Drivers - the drivers may be wrong or corrupted. Manually download the drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. Do not use any third party installers or tools.

3) Configuration - Windows has quite a number of audio related options. Clicking the small speaker icon (usually located in the lower right screen corner) will open a audio menu. Each menu choice leads to more windows, tabs, views, and properties. All too easy to have the configuration options therein to go astray for any number of reasons.
Check the current configurations. You may just need to change an option.

Run the built in Windows trouble shooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.