Realtek Hd Audio can't retask jacks

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
All I am trying to do is to plug in my headphones into one jack and my speakers into another jack on my rear I/O. I am tired of having to unplug one to plug the other. I have an Asus Z87-A motherboard and running Windows 8.1. I have already uninstalled and re-intsalled the software a few time already and downloaded it both from realtek's website as well as Asus's.

I have double clicked and right clicked on all the jacks and only the green jack pops up and asks if its headphones or speakers.

The only thing that i have found that might be the problem is that Asus's version of the manager messed this up everywhere I look i see a different version of the manager mine looks like this
Asus Realtek

If thats the case can someone tell me and/or if there is a fix for it. I would like to be able to use my computer how I want.

Solution
Hrm.

After some more looking into it, I suppose it is possible, but maybe try using the Generic Realtek drivers instead of the ASUS Specific ones? If not, this site:

http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/

has posted a work around on how to do it using Regedit. Maybe that will help?

Good luck.

CraigN

Distinguished
It can't retask jacks because that's just how they work, nothing wrong with your drivers. Those inputs are driven a certain way on the circuit board, you can't just tell the Line In to pretend to be a second Line out, or the Side speaker or Rear Speaker input to be a second stereo out. You either have your speakers or your headphones. The only workaround I can think of that would work is to have both plugged in and change your Speakers from Stereo or 2.1 to Quadraphonic (4 speakers) but then you might lack certain sound in your headphones, and I'm assuming you're trying to isolate certain sound, i.e. music or voice, to your headphones only.

If you want to task between the two, I recommend either a USB headset, or using the Front Panel to override your speakers when you want just headphones so you don't have to climb behind your case.

nitsua101

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Really? But Asus's website says that it supports jack-retasking and I have seen it been done on other fourms with an Asus Realtek manager.

CraigN

Distinguished
Hrm.

After some more looking into it, I suppose it is possible, but maybe try using the Generic Realtek drivers instead of the ASUS Specific ones? If not, this site:

http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/

has posted a work around on how to do it using Regedit. Maybe that will help?

Good luck.

Solution

asusalltheway

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Thank you CraigN for the link to, http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/. I'm not the original poster but thank you. That work around works perfectly. My green front out jack quit working so I retasked the front to the rear, black, jack. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and realtek driver version 2.75. Just follow the directions exactly, make sure you have the speakers plugged into the jack you want to use and restart the computer, Before, changing anything in regedit. The pin number will show up when the system is restarted and I just changed the binary value from 05 00 00 00 to 04 00 00 00. Restarted again and it works perfectly. Good luck to everyone who tries. It worked for me. Asus P5QLD PRO board. 04/26/2015

rs1

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
I finally figured it out after 2 hours, same issue as nitsua101. I have asus cm1855 w/ windows 10 & realtek audio manager. I wanted to be able to switch between using speakers or headphones using only realtek audio vs physically switching ports/jacks. I ended having to plug headphones into the headphone jack in front of computer, and the speakers into the back to the light green lower center jack (front speaker out). I tried initially to use the black jack for the headphones, and it seems like it should have worked that way, but it didn't.

1.) select options gear icon at top right of realtek audio manager
2.) under "playback device", check the box for "make front and rear output device playback 2 different audio streams simultaneously"
3.) headphones plugged in to headphone jack in front of computer....select headphones on dialogue popup
4.) speakers plugged in back to light green lower center jack (front speaker out). ...select speakers on dialogue popup
5.) you should now see 2 icons at top..."hd audio second input" controls the headphones, and "speakers" controls the speakers, a green check mark will indicate which device/output is currently active
6.) this final step was the secret...you must first click on the icon you want, then select or click on "set default device" (to the right of the volume bar) to switch between headphones and speakers, you will then see the green check mark appear on the icon of your new current selection.
---the confusing part is when you click on either device it highlights the icon, and shows data and settings for it, so it appears as if you have selected it, even though you have not.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
This just seems mentally retarded to me, i could remap jacks any way i wanted on my old Gigabyte P35 but it looks like Realtek/Asus decided in all there wisdom to drop this feature on the newer mainboards / chips.... ps i regret buying an Asus MB ....

ChadeUK

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
To add to what has already been said by rs1, if you are using Windows 10 with the Anniversary update you can now left click on the Windows speaker system icon, not the Realtek one, click the small arrow on the top right corner of the popup and switch between headphones and speakers there. Much quicker.

TRENDING THREADS