Realtek HD Audio Driver not Working (MSI B450 Gaming Plus )

Dec 13, 2018
After building my first new pc, and installing all required drivers, I noticed that my audio wasn't working. One week of fruitless google searching and trying different solution later i finally gave up and to post my first ever question in a forum like this. I really don't know what to do anymore, because the PC is virtually unusable for me without audio.

I'm running Windows Home 64Bit, and as stated in the title my motherboard is the MSI B450 Gaming Plus.

As I said I already did a lot of googling so here are some things I think might help indentifying the problem:
My device manager doesn't display a realtek hd audio device (it is also not hidden), but it does display a High Definition Audio Controller.
DxDiag doesn't find a sound card and advices me to download a driver (which I of course already did).
It seems to not be a hardware problem, because when booting into linux the sound works just fine.
One noteable thing is that trying to use "add a legacy device" to add a realtek hd audio device and installing a proper driver afterwards usually results in windows bluescreening (and on one occasion even completely breaking, forcing me to reset it). If I remember correctly it usually is a System_Thread_Expection cause by RTKVHD64.sys

And here is a short list of the solutions I already tried:
Reinstalling the drivers from different sources (MSI, and realtek website)
Resetting Windows.
Deactivating and activating onboard audio in bios
Uninstalling the HD audio controller and rebooting/scanning for new devices.

I hope you guys can help me.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Even if working in Linux, it might be though a controller issue, since the Windows driver does not work. If you reinstalled Windows and still the same, an option would be RMA-ing the board and, another option, adding a PCIe sound card.
Even if working in Linux, it might be though a controller issue, since the Windows driver does not work. If you reinstalled Windows and still the same, an option would be RMA-ing the board and, another option, adding a PCIe sound card.

Solution
Dec 13, 2018

First of all: Thanks for your response.
I just ordered a replacement from amazon, which will arrive at the 31st.
Is there anything I should/could try in the meantime ?

TRENDING THREADS