Realtek HD Audio Speakers Not Plugged In

CIVICAL

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Explanation - About 2 days ago my new mini itx chassis came in (NCASE M1). I put my computer together and everything seemed to be running perfectly. When I signed in for the first time the next day, the sound icon in the bottom right corner of the taskbar. There was a little red x. Usually, this just means that I don't have a default playback device selected and I could fix it very easily. But I was prompted with troubleshooting of all my playback devices. Told my "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output is not plugged in. I hover over the sound icon on the taskbar and it says "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". Although I have like 2 headphones plugged in and two front speakers that should be working. Below is a list of things I've already started to hopefully resolve the problem. none of them below have worked for me.

Things I've Already Tried - (NONE OF THESE HAVE WORKED)
- Reinstalling Realtek Driver
- Ran the windows sound troubleshooter
- Attempted a system reset (didn't work came up with error "Windows has a problem resetting your computer: no changes has been made".
- Uninstalled soundcard driver and restarted.

My Present Thoughts - At this point, I'm losing faith in everything. I've attempted what feels like every possible fix and still no good positive outcome. If anyone has any feedback on what my problem is I would be very thankful!

Hello CIVICAL

Can you please confirm if you tried going to Device Manager and checking if any Unknown devices are present in the list? If so, you can:

> Use the Cortana search box at the bottom to type MSINFO32 and press Enter.

> In the opened System Information window, from the left pane, expand the Components tree.

> Click to select the Problem Devices option.

> In from the right pane, note down the ID of the unknown device and search for its driver online.

> Install the driver when found and see if that works.

If Windows still can't detect the connected speakers, if possible, please try checking them with a different PC, or try connecting different speakers to this PC.

If nothing works, probably there's a fault in the hardware itself.

Good Luck!!

CIVICAL

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

I followed the instructions that you gave, and sadly this didn't help either...

CIVICAL

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
So I think that I figured out what was wrong by doing some testing. I plugged in an old SSD of mine with Windows 10 installed on it. Just to verify for whatever reason, if my hardware or new case was the problem. Which I established wasn't the problem because when I booted Windows from that drive everything was PERFECT!
Later I checked my speakers and my two other pair of headphones by plugging them into an old Windows 8 laptop of mine. My speakers and headphones also worked PERFECTLY!
So from there I established that something must've been wrong with either my Windows 10 OS or the SSD it was installed on. I'm still not quite sure because after I replaced my faulty drive with this new drive that worked fine. I just kind of said screw it and ended up installing all my programs back. I had some problems converting my new SSD from MBR partition table to GPT partition table in order overwrite my Win 10 Pro to just Win 10 Home (because I didn't have a license for Win 10 Pro).
Later I'll take my flash drive with the Windows Media Installer on it and plug in into my other built PC along with the faulty drive. And convert it from MBR to GPT and see if I can reinstall Win 10 on it. If everything goes well that I assume something was wrong with my original Win 10 copy. But if there are still problems I assume something is wrong with my SSD.
But thanks for the help I'm just happy that I found some fix for this although it's kind of the last resort most people would like taking. It was kind of an annoying battle because I tried resetting my faulty SSD to reinstall Win 10 Home. But I would always get to about 5% completion and all of sudden the resetting process would just sort of crash on me and say "nothing was changed". (Another reason my Win 10 copy might be messed up) But I think using my flash drive with the Windows Media Installer on it I can just reinstall Win 10 completely without any issues. Anyways that's how I fixed my problem....

Howyadoinmon

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I had a similar problem, it turns out my 3.5mm sound port is broke.

I reinstalled my motherboard's sound drivers and the little red x disappeared, showing the volume bar moving as I played some music, but it still wasn't giving any sound. Then i put the 3.5mm plug from my monitor speakers into a 3.5mm-to-USB cable i got with my headset, plugged it in and it worked.

All this while, my usb headset did work though so I'm not sure if this will solve your problem as well.