Realtek High Audio Definition Audio

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello,

I'm having problems with my sound, I'm getting a very loud buzzing sound and nothing else. My computer is only a year old (self built) and I have never had this problem before, I got home from grocery shopping and it was buzzing.

What I did to try and fix it:

- thought headset was broken, used speakers, still buzzing
- used windows troubleshooting, said my port wasn't being detected, fiddled with it a bit and tried front ports. front ports causing buzzing as well
- checked for driver update, nothing
- uninstalled driver (buzzing stopped)
- re-installed driver and buzzing started again

So, i do think the problem is the driver, but i have no clue what to do about it. any suggestions?

again, my audio was working fine before i left shopping. I got home and it was buzzing.

Thanks.

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I tried to do another clean install and thought I'd fully document my steps:

1) Found out that an "recommended update" (KB2547666) was automatically installed on the 28th (today), so must have installed while i was gone.

2)un-installed audio driver, restarted computer

3)let windows install the audio driver it found, restarted

4)no buzzing, but no sound

5) checked BIOS and compared to manual, nothing popped out

6) did another re-install of audio driver (located at: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V/#download)

7) restarted, buzzing is back :(

8) ran troubleshooting tool and nothing, all "issue not present"

9) flipped a table...... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

So yea, I'm not to sure what to do next (I'm still new at the whole trouble shooting thing). Might take it in or buy a cheap sound card. But any other ideas? :D

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
So I was playing around in the realtek HD Audio Manager and found that the ports that I plug my speakers into are detecting wrong. When i plug in my speaker into the back lime green port it detects it as the front pink port, and i don't know how to fix that :p

Edit: found this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2012/05/03/9798386.aspx

When i was un-installing/re-installing realtek windows did do its detect thing before i launched the install wizzard for the driver. could that be the HD Audio class driver and could it be conflicting with the realtek driver?

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

yea i have what i had there before (realtek high definition audio and NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

It very well could indeed. You can also take both drivers out of the computer by uninstalling them, rebooting, and when Windows tries to install the driver, cancel the process and reinstall the Realtek drivers.

Just out of curiosity, did you see if there was a driver available direct from Realtek?

I googled it and found THIS . Can't hurt to try it cause usually vendors (in this case ASUS) tweak the driver files a bit to suit their needs.

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

But when i had un-installed the realtek driver before i wasnt getting any sound as well. Also that NVIDIA was there before. I believe it's so that my video cards HDMI port can carry audio as well (least that what it looks like it is for in the nvidia control panel). I also tried the link you gave me and installed directley and still buzzing away :(

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
UPDATE:

Tried un-installing driver (4th time) and letting windows detect and grab one for me. (called High Definition Audio Device) and it is also not detecting my ports right. my lime green won't detect and my light blueish is my headset/speaker. I'm getting no buzzing, but no sound :(

if i go to my sound -> playback, i have speakers (not plugged in), headphones (default device), Digital Audio (S/PDIF, ready), Digital Audio(S/PDIF, ready)

Oh and i looked into it and nvidia wont cause a conflicts and it is for the HDMI feature (source: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/114871-realtek-hd-audio-driver-nvidia-hd-drivers.html).

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Yeah i can personally confirm that nvidia won't cause conflicts since I have both realtek drivers and nvidia drivers installed and running. The nvidia drivers only affect the card.

Odd problem I had; I had to have the realtek drivers installed otherwise stupid windows 8 would constantly give my the device connect sound which would also interrupt anything that was playing back. Took me a while to solve why that was happening since the problem wasn't present in windows 7 when i only had nvidia drivers installed.

As headwar2011 said try halting the windows driver installation and then just install the realtek driver.

travis_S

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Welp, i found out its not my driver. Used a usb headset i grabbed from work and it works fine, its just the ports are messed up. so at least i got sound for now. Thanks to everyone for your responses. The plus side is i got a lot more experience with drivers :p