Realtek High Definition Audio Causing Video/Audio Stuttering

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iced1776

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Starting about a month ago, after six to seven months of my laptop working fine, I've been getting video and audio stuttering whenever gaming or watching most HD videos and after messing around with my drivers I realized that whenever my Realtek HD Audio drivers are disabled my video runs flawlessly, but when enabled both video and audio stutter. I'm using a Sony VAIO laptop so I'm assuming that the sound card isn't easily replaceable. I've tried using the newest drivers straight from Realtek's website and also the outdated driver provided by Sony's website, both of which result in the same stuttering. Sony has also replaced the motherboard once and it did not resolve the issue. Any suggestions? I'm currently running Windows 7 with 6gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 330M graphics card.

papezonejr

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Wow, thank you for this! I just got a brand new computer. i7 6700K NVIDIA GTX 670 4GB DDR5, so I knew my computer wasn't the issue. My stream was so laggy on OBS after about 30 seconds. I disabled my audio, and now it's running smooth as ever. Have you found a solution to this? Seems to be the software rather than the hardware.

Laura_7

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

I could kiss you!! This is exactly what this girl needed to fix her computer!!! Thank you so much!

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I have had that "audio/video Stuttering/Buzzing/grinding noise" on and off now for the last 6yrs @ different severity levels. I actually got rid of it for a year or two but after a recent reformat it was back and I couldn't remember just how I got rid of it the last time (I tried so many things).
But, so far that "Tweaking.com" you posted the link to has worked great!
Considering how many others it has worked for, I was surprised no one has selected your post for "best answer" so I did.
I don't know what that "Tweaking.com" app did to solve the issue but, so far it has and I'm very grateful THX!!!!!!:bounce:

oltean

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

ladderchair

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

This has been going on for awhile now and I have found a solution.

The issue is that the Realtek Audio Driver is conflicting with Nvidia HD Audio Driver. Nvidia Graphics Cards will automatically install the HD Audio Driver. You cannot uninstall Realtek Audio Driver due to the fact that it is required for the audio cards on MSI Motherboards. So you must disable Nvidia HD Audio Driver.

Go to your Device Manager and scroll down to "Sound Video and Game Controllers" then you need to click on the drivers "Nvidia HD Audio" and "Nvidia Virtual Audio Device". Click on the little down arrow at the top of the Device Manager and it should give you a prompt to disable the driver. Just click yes and restart your computer. It should be functioning now.

Device Manager>Sound, Video, and Game Controllers> Disable Nvidia Drivers

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I'm glad that worked for you however that doesn't work with AMD video cards.

WilliamKBR

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
I'm fighting exact same problem. I have Windows 7 64Bits, motherboard Asus Z97-K, Core i7 4790k, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 960 . I didn't notice this on my old machine, i7 860 (first gen).

While I'm listening Winamp or WMP, when opening new tabs in both Chrome or Firefox, the stutter or glitches appears. Seems to be related to network or disk. My disk is a 1 year old SSD Samsung 850 500GB, I've get from my old machine. Even now while I'm typing.

Ahw1231

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Same thing here, only audio stutter is when playing games (all games) and streamed content over the internet. Also is the same in that restarting my computer solves it, seems to only happen after being on for more than 24 hours straight, sometimes not starting till 48+ hours.

Leon_20

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Anybody having this issue in which you randomly come across stutters lasting less than half of a second and they happen randomly, but more when gaming or watching videos?

I fixed it by going into "Device Manager" then, "Display Adapters" and turning all off besides the one I preferred. It was on "Intel HD Graphics 4600" & "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" and then I turned off the intel one (right-click and click 'disable') and now it's smooth and perfect. I'd reccommend downloading the Nvidia display adapter before continuing. You can do so from Nvidia's website.

Haizom

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
I'm having the same issue... Tried running windows tweaker and had success for some time. A day later the audio started cliping again and gosh it's annoying!! It causes a hard fps drop on fps games (Dirty Bomb, Paladins) I don't have the KB2962407 update installed, so it's not the issue. Here's my dxdiag... I have tried everything T-T DxDiag

Jeroenymus

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I have an MSI GP72 (4Q cpu Intel) with WIN10 installed an had the same issue. Stuttering sound or sometimes a crack or click. Very short, indeed shorter than a second. It appeared not in all games but in some (mostly HD high quality games). But it did not appear on films (netflix) via firefox. Only a sound problem no video. I installed al Realtek latest drivers. But the stuttering stayed.

It seemed that it was solved by the idea already posted by mobehun about the speaker configuration.
When I had this stuttering it was set on 24 bit (48kHz). When I adjusted it to 24 bit (96kHz) the stuttering seemed to have disappeared.

stlolth

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
MY SOLUTION:

I can confirm that changing the Default Format option alleviated the issue in my case but has not solved it completely. I'm using Windows 8.1, Realtek onboard sound and drivers. It appears that setting the highest available format quality results in least frequent stuttering, however in my case, at the below cited selected format, the stuttering is still present at times.

Go: Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers (or your preferred sound output device) > Properties > Advanced > Here change Default Format to: 24 bit 192000 Hz (Studio Quality) > Click Apply

New information: Choosing a lower quality Default Format - 16 bit 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) has solved the issue completely. If you are an audiophile or get a compulsive nagging sense of unease when you feel things aren't perfect, this solution might not be for you. I however am enjoying it.

cgty__

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
SOLUTION at least for situations like mine..
Creative sb vx 5.1 sound card (wont fit stable in chasis, faulty drivers, will die in 1 year. believe my i fried 2 of those and using 3rd now. unless you get it free like me dont buy it.) + realtek onboard sound processor AMD CPU and r9 280x GPU.
I was having this problem with my old OS too but somehow it solved itself at that days. Recently i've reinstalled the OS completely forgetting about the problem and there it was again.
Tried updating, downgrading all drivers and messed with OS/directx as i naturally think it was a directx problem but nope.
I saw this and laughed:

(SOLUTION)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwvXCyaQDFE
(SOLUTION)

then i saw iced1776 saying it can be a faulty processor and remembered i used to mess with processor power state to keep pc cool while i was runing macros 7/24. So gived a try and worked like a charm. Just like a joke after all i ve done to get it solved.

you dont have to download the program to check DPC latency by the way. just try the solution it wont hurt anyway your cpu doesnt go %100 all the way up. for me legue of legends launcher musics and alt-tab from youtube video to steam was always problematic so i ve checked using them.

Again my case was Video/Audio Stuttering random but mostly while changing between windows causing fps drops even on desktop. Nothing like faulty flashplayer, network, directx, or hardware issues. thats the things you have to look first.

bhubert

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
I partially solve this issue, there are still stuttering but not continous, usually when i open an application, the sound stutters then back to normal.

What I did is to use the win7 feature "readyboost" using a spare usb drive with at least 4gb of free space. I hope this helps others like me.

CoolTex

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Go to Device Manager
Under Processors - Video, Game Controllers will be two drivers
Both are named High Definition Audio Drivers
Disable the bottom one and try it...the top one won't work - disables audio
Stereo still works right...
Hard to find answer - worked fine on my Acer desktop with Win 7
Must be some Win 7 error that loads two drivers instead of one..

CoolTex

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Go to Device Manager
Under Processors - Video, Game Controllers will be two drivers
Both are named High Definition Audio Drivers
Disable the bottom one and try it...the top one won't work - disables audio
Stereo still works right...
Hard to find answer - worked fine on my Acer desktop with Win 7
Must be some Win 7 error that loads two drivers instead of one..

Dennis_81

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Matthew_221

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

I know this is many years after you posted this and so you probably won't see this but, as a guy who was experiencing this issue and randomly found your post via Google, I want to thank you for this advice. I went and downloaded the programme and it seems to have fixed my issue. Thank you!

motsware

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
I've created this account just to say THANK YOU @Trollark! May you live forever and one day!!!

BTW, profile stats are saying this is his/her only post here. THE one...

P.S. Nice place with lot of good tech reads.

Smith_87

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Guys, I have finally found the ultimate solution to this painful issue. No, your processor is not dying, It's just a driver(s) issue.
Head over to https://drp.su nclick "Download DriverPack Online". Run the downloaded app n select "Automatitally Set Up Computer". DO NOT interrupt the process. Then reboot yur machine n kiss tha problem goodbye.

ahmegen

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Like many others, i didn't have an account here but i signed up to thank you , i suffered from this issue for more than 2 full months and was about to send my notebook back to the vendor but now everything works perfect.
Man, you are a genius to discover this simple solution and generous to share it with us , Thank you so much

etrnlwarp

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thank you for your replay I was having the same issue running zone alarm, primarily as you said with firefox and chrome. I uninstalled zone alarm, which really sucked, but so far so good. I noticed also that the issue was amplified also with virtual machines. I don't think my i7 likes having multiple virus/firwall/application scanners up either so I disabled everything except windows defender and am using rogue killer for quick scans every other day.