Realtek High Definition Audio Causing Video/Audio Stuttering

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iced1776

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Starting about a month ago, after six to seven months of my laptop working fine, I've been getting video and audio stuttering whenever gaming or watching most HD videos and after messing around with my drivers I realized that whenever my Realtek HD Audio drivers are disabled my video runs flawlessly, but when enabled both video and audio stutter. I'm using a Sony VAIO laptop so I'm assuming that the sound card isn't easily replaceable. I've tried using the newest drivers straight from Realtek's website and also the outdated driver provided by Sony's website, both of which result in the same stuttering. Sony has also replaced the motherboard once and it did not resolve the issue. Any suggestions? I'm currently running Windows 7 with 6gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 330M graphics card.

jerry_

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

adamfwheeler

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
Strange solution but my computer was plugged into the TV with an HDMI cord. When I unplugged the cord from the TV, the stutter was gone and everything was fine again. Worked for me anyway. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2018

I experienced choppy audio and video and thought it had to do with the Realtek Audio Driver as well. I had recently reinstalled (clean) Window 10, and along with that some of the drivers that were installed by my computer manufacturer were also wiped clean. I went on to Acer's website and downloaded their "Chipset Driver" which includes drivers for AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). After installing the drivers and restarting my computer, the sound and video now work flawlessly. Hope this helps.