Realtek high definition audio microphone not working

myhalfsoul

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hey guys,

I have a self-built desktop and everything has been working fine except for the microphone. I have tried both a microphone (audio jack connection) and a headset and no matter what I do the microphone just doesn't work (playback works fine on my headset). I have tried a number of things from the internet such as updating the realtek driver (I tried a win 8.1 and win 10 drivers, from either realtek website or my motherboard's website), updating motherboard BIOS, and turning off enhancement effects. No luck so far. I am running windows 10 and have a MSI Z97S Krait edition motherboard (on a side note, my friend has a MSI Z170 Krait edition motherboard and his microphone also does not work). Does anyone know what could be going on and how would I be able to get my microphone working? Thanks!

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I don't know how to fix your microphone problem, but recently I started getting a lot of hiss and crackle from my sound system. I eventually determined it was the Realtek audio chip, and rather than replace the motherboard, I installed a $25 Soundblaster Audigy sound card. Problem solved.

myhalfsoul

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

To he honest, I actually did have a pcie sound card before but the microphone still didn't work even when I plugged it in through the sound card. The microphone itself does work since I am able to record with it using my phone.