Realtek Lan chip causing higher ping!

Solution
"Ping" is such a misunderstood term.
It is the total time it takes for a round trip between your system and wherever.

The LAN device on your system only affects the "ping" between you and your router.

Ping to anywhere...the first hop is to your router.
This should be <1ms. That is the only thing your LAN adapter and driver can influence.

After your modem/router...you have little influence over what happens.
In broad terms, the farther away you are from the target server...the higher the ping.
Dozens or hundreds of routers and servers in between.

Please show us some links where someone says there is a difference between intel and realtek.
So that we may debunk them properly.

Game_man

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
google "intel vs realtek lan"ping,most say so.Yes,many.And gaming motherboards do come with intel or killer lan chip.None realtek,thats the reason I searched...any solutions

USAFRet

Titan
"Ping" is such a misunderstood term.
It is the total time it takes for a round trip between your system and wherever.

The LAN device on your system only affects the "ping" between you and your router.

Ping to anywhere...the first hop is to your router.
This should be <1ms. That is the only thing your LAN adapter and driver can influence.

After your modem/router...you have little influence over what happens.
In broad terms, the farther away you are from the target server...the higher the ping.
Dozens or hundreds of routers and servers in between.

Please show us some links where someone says there is a difference between intel and realtek.
So that we may debunk them properly.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
^ THIS.

The only adapters that I've commonly seen issues with are "Killer" adapters that are *supposed* to be better, perhaps it's the drivers or perhaps it's the adapter itself but I avoid them.

Ralston18

Titan
@Game_man.

Received your PM. Appreciate that you wish to have my opinion but I am not familar with "Killer" adapters per se.

And a "high ping" could be due to any number of reasons.

Run tracert and pathping as well. You truly need to have more information about what is happening with respect to some high ping issue.

Your objective is to narrow down the circumstances that lead to "high ping". I.e., a specific computer/device, your network, a specific website, or specific DNS.

RealBeast

Titan
IMO Intel Ethernet adapters are the gold standard, although I've had no issues with Realtek adapters built in to motherboards.

I would not use the Gigabyte LAN Optimizer software, which is most likely the problem. Simply use the LAN driver only.