Okra

Hi everyone, I have a computer running win xp professional and i added in a
realtek nic, the light comes on but nobody's home so to speak. I cannot see
it anywhere and xp can't detect it, it baffles me because it is a plug and
play device. Now on the other hand, i have a seperate computer that i just
installed xp on but the nic (also a realtek exact same model) was already in
and it detected and that one is ready to go smooth sailing. I have tried the
hardware setup wizard to auto detect and i also tried to manually enter it
but to no avail....Anyone out there that can help an inexperienced xp user.
I'd really like to get my home net up soon....

realtek has several versions of controller chips for nics. some get a driver
in xp and will be auto detected and loaded some YOU need to load the driver
manually.

insert your driver cd and tell win xp to load the correct driver.

go to device manager and right click on the realtek nic if listed,
or unknown device if it isn't listed as realtek network device yet.

select update driver then browse to the driver cd and make sure to use the
correct driver folder as there may be more than one chipsets drivers listed
on your cd

Open your computer's BIOS and disable your on-board
LAN or NIC.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Okra" wrote:

| Hi everyone, I have a computer running win xp professional and i added in a
| realtek nic, the light comes on but nobody's home so to speak. I cannot see
| it anywhere and xp can't detect it, it baffles me because it is a plug and
| play device. Now on the other hand, i have a seperate computer that i just
| installed xp on but the nic (also a realtek exact same model) was already in
| and it detected and that one is ready to go smooth sailing. I have tried the
| hardware setup wizard to auto detect and i also tried to manually enter it
| but to no avail....Anyone out there that can help an inexperienced xp user.
| I'd really like to get my home net up soon....

Hello

If your having that much trouble with the nic card why not
just replace and use a different brand of nic card.

Al