[SOLVED] Realtek Network Controller not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2019
Finally got an ethernet cable to connect to my desktop, since it always was connected to WiFi but it sucked, so I got a cable.
Plugged in the cable, ethernet doesn't work.
Checked for drivers in Device Manager and there is no Ethernet driver listed there.
Tried installing a Realtek Network Driver, but it surprised me with an error "Realtek Network Controller not found" and then something about a deep sleep mode and plugging in the cable.
I can't get it out of deep sleep because it's just not there, and I have yet to fix the problem. I tried going into BIOS and finding something network related that may be disabled but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I have an MSI motherboard.

What should I do?

Solution
That is strange. The Device manager shows hardware, not a driver, but it can be used to install a driver; if the Device Manager does not show a piece of hardware it means it is not being identified; have you checked under ports? It might be possible the wrong driver was loaded and windows identified the lan as something else. I would expand the other hardware folders to see if it has been misidentified. such as a second modem or second wireless adapter.

Edit: I read your BIOS may have an option to wake up your Ethernet. You might want to see if that is the case. It apparently is a power saving issue. Check under integrated peripherals or Power.

If you still can't find an Ethernet lan, I would suggest either a PCIe card or USB...
Assuming your computer has a similar Realtek lan chip as mine, it is named Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller; you should find it in the Device Manager under Network adapters. If for some reason you can't see it, Go to View and click on Show hidden devices. It should not be hidden, but it's worth a shot.

I see your MB ( apparently renamed MSI 760GM-P34 FX) is a Windows 8 computer, so one would assume the Windows 10 Realtek driver should be installed. If it does not work, MSI has a Windows 8 Lan driver that might work. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P34-FX#down-driver&Win8 64 . I would try to R&R the driver first.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019
Assuming your computer has a similar Realtek lan chip as mine, it is named Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller; you should find it in the Device Manager under Network adapters. If for some reason you can't see it, Go to View and click on Show hidden devices. It should not be hidden, but it's worth a shot.

I see your MB ( apparently renamed MSI 760GM-P34 FX) is a Windows 8 computer, so one would assume the Windows 10 Realtek driver should be installed. If it does not work, MSI has a Windows 8 Lan driver that might work. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P34-FX#down-driver&Win8 64 . I would try to R&R the driver first.
That's the thing, there isn't a PCIe GBE Family Controller on Device Manager. Show hidden devices don't work, too, the driver just isn't there. And the MSI win8 LAN driver that you linked just gives the same error "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable."

That is strange. The Device manager shows hardware, not a driver, but it can be used to install a driver; if the Device Manager does not show a piece of hardware it means it is not being identified; have you checked under ports? It might be possible the wrong driver was loaded and windows identified the lan as something else. I would expand the other hardware folders to see if it has been misidentified. such as a second modem or second wireless adapter.

Edit: I read your BIOS may have an option to wake up your Ethernet. You might want to see if that is the case. It apparently is a power saving issue. Check under integrated peripherals or Power.

If you still can't find an Ethernet lan, I would suggest either a PCIe card or USB Ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 7, 2019

Edit: I read your BIOS may have an option to wake up your Ethernet. You might want to see if that is the case. It apparently is a power savibg issue. Check under intigrated peripherals or Power.

If you still can't find an Ethernet lan, I would suggest either a PCIe card or USB Ethernet adapter.
I checked under every category, there isn't anything like it. I don't even know how this may have happened since I remember using this PC with an ethernet cable and it worked like a charm.
I will check BIOS again, but I have a feeling it won't resolve this issue.

I think the only way for ethernet to work would be with the adapter or the card. Tomorrow I will have a chance to buy the adapter, but will it work, since there isn't a Network Controller?
Also, I wanted to say thank you for helping me, I really appreciate it.

An Ethernet card or USB adapter is Ethernet hardware and will have it's own controller software, so it completely takes the place of the missing Ethernet controller, including having it's own plug. BTW, does the Ethernet plug light up when you plug in a cable?

Last edited:
Okay, I have found a site which appears to show the BIOS of your motherboard. There are actually 4 settings for the lan; Onboard, Green lan (enables deep sleep), SMART Lan which does a diagnostic on the on board lan and Onboard LAN Boot ROM, which craetes compatibility with 1gps Ethernet router. https://www.pcgamer.com/ultimate-bios-guide-every-setting-decrypted-and-explained/2/ again these are settings than can disable the Ethernet chip, so Windows would not find it with Device manager.

Jul 7, 2019
An Ethernet card or USB adapter is Ethernet hardware and will have it's own controller software, so it completely takes the place of the missing Ethernet controller, including having it's own plug. BTW, does the Ethernet plug light up when you plug in a cable?
Okay, thanks for explaining! And no, the plug does not light up.

About your latest reply:
On the BIOS I only have settings like Onboard LAN Controller and LAN Option ROM, and both of them are enabled. There isn't a different setting for LAN. Could that be changed if I update the BIOS?

The most current BIOs version for your MB is H.H; for some reason, the bios goes from H.1 to H.9 and then changes to H.A to H.H (perhaps they wanted to stay with 2 characters). Regardless, I did not see any BIOS version that addressed the LAN and updating RAM can be a risky business, as it can make you PC unusable if something goes. OTOH, if the issue with your Ethernet is in the BIOS, it could solve your problem. I would not risk it, as a new Ethernet card could work better than the on board Ethernet even if you get it working, as it would be newer and most likely faster technology.

Reactions: yolendi
Jul 7, 2019
The most current BIOs version for your MB is H.H; for some reason, the bios goes from H.1 to H.9 and then changes to H.A to H.H (perhaps they wanted to stay with 2 characters). Regardless, I did not see any BIOS version that addressed the LAN and updating RAM can be a risky business, as it can make you PC unusable if something goes. OTOH, if the issue with your Ethernet is in the BIOS, it could solve your problem. I would not risk it, as a new Ethernet card could work better than the on board Ethernet even if you get it working, as it would be newer and most likely faster technology.
Thank you for helping me! Since I don't know a lot about computers and most definitely not Ethernet cards, let alone knowing how to install it, I will rather buy an adapter RJ45 to USB, I didn't even know those existed! Anyway, thank you very much and have great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.