[SOLVED] Realtek PCIe family controller can't go higher up than 10Mbps

Deksoow

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just installed a new motherboard and the Realtek card for some reason only works when i put it on 10 Mbps full duplex

Solution
The speed of the port is a pretty low level function handled mostly by hardware. It only very minimally uses driver setting. In general this is a bad cable. Cables are very strange they can work on some machine and not others.

If it is not the cable then you start to suspect a bad port in the machine or maybe the router. This is extremely rare

You really have no option but to leave it on auto. I bet the router is running 10mbps HALF duplex. This is the expect result when you have one side set to auto (the router) and the other side set to some fixed value.
You can only really set the speed and duplex when you can do both ends.

Still auto should always work and you should get gigabit connections...unless your router is old...
You shouldn't need to "put" it on anything.

What is the exact model of your motherboard?

What version of Windows are you running? What BUILD version of Windows are you running?

If you are not sure you can type winver into the search box on your start menu and hit enter.

Have you installed the latest drivers from your motherboard product page?

Reactions: Deksoow

Deksoow

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
It's an MSI B450M-A PRO MAX motherboard, auto negotiation doesnt work so i cap it at 10 Mbps myself, any other option wont work for some reason, im on version 1909 nad build version (OS build) 18363.476, i did install the latest drivers and also the latest drivers from the realtek website

The speed of the port is a pretty low level function handled mostly by hardware. It only very minimally uses driver setting. In general this is a bad cable. Cables are very strange they can work on some machine and not others.

If it is not the cable then you start to suspect a bad port in the machine or maybe the router. This is extremely rare

You really have no option but to leave it on auto. I bet the router is running 10mbps HALF duplex. This is the expect result when you have one side set to auto (the router) and the other side set to some fixed value.
You can only really set the speed and duplex when you can do both ends.

Still auto should always work and you should get gigabit connections...unless your router is old and only has 100mbps ports.

Solution

Deksoow

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
I'll try to leave it on auto overnight to see if it does anything, the router isnt that old and im not certain if its the cable, it worked everywhere else but as you said, they work on some machines and not others. what IS weird though is that i could usually set it on my old mobo, but not this one.

I would disregard the latest drivers from the Realtek website. Their direct driver offerings, when they can be found, don't always have the desired result. I'd stick with the driver offered by your motherboard manufacturer as those will be the most likely to be tailored specifically to the implementation on your board. Just reinstall the driver on the motherboard product page, even if it is not relevant to the specificity of your issue, so that you will at least know you are running the correct driver per the board manufacturer.

Also, as bill001g has indicated, leave it on Auto navigation and try a different cable or check router settings. It's practically unlikely for that setting to actually have any fault in the problem you are experiencing other and the result of changing the setting is simply a band aid effect.

what IS weird though is that i could usually set it on my old mobo, but not this one.

Could set WHAT? You shouldn't NEED to set anything. The driver settings that are best case, no fault, should already be configured in the correct driver package by default.

What I WOULD do is make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed for your motherboard. Could be something relevant there.

Reactions: Deksoow

Deksoow

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Could set WHAT? You shouldn't NEED to set anything. The driver settings that are best case, no fault, should already be configured in the correct driver package by default.

What I WOULD do is make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed for your motherboard. Could be something relevant there.
i already installed the latest bios version, but as i said ill leave it on auto negotiation later, thanks for all the help though :)