[SOLVED] Realtek PCIe GbE family controller can't deal with magic packet from wan

Nov 16, 2019
Good afternoon.

My name is Noel. I'm owner of a Realtek PCie GbE card.

Recently, i'm interested to wake my PC from LAN or Internet.

I have my computer properly configured, so i'm able to wake up my computer from S3 state sending a magic packet from my LAN area.

I was testing same behaviour from outside my LAN, and i'm not able to wake up my computer. I have a monitor to listen specific ports. I've verified that i'm receiving magic packets from outside following same format as it does from my LAN.

I was updated my card drivers to 10.36.701.2019 version.

I'm using following card configuration:

ARP Offload - Disabled
Auto Disable Gigabit - Disabled
Energy Efficient Ethernet - Disabled
Flow Control - Rx & Tx Enabled
Green Ethernet - Disabled
Interrupt Moderation - Enabled
IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disabled
Jumbo Frame - Disabled
Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) - Disabled
Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) - Disabled
Network Address - Empty
NS Offload - Disabled
Power saving mode - Disabled
Priority & VLAN - Priority & VLAN Enabled
Receive Buffers - 512
Receive Side Scaling - Enabled
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - Enabled
Speed & Duplex - Auto
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - Disabled
Transmit Buffers - 128
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - Disabled
Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled
Wake on pattern match - Tested Enabled and Disabled
WOL & Shutdown Link Speed - 10 Mbps First

On energy management:
allow magic packet wake computer checked

I can't figure out where is problem. I appreciate so much your help.
Thanks.

Solution
The problem is that waking a computer requires the router to keep the MAC address in memory. That is not a feature in home routers. Your best bet would be to get a router that lets you remotely log into the router then from the router send the wake payload.
Wake on WAN just doesn't work. There are dozens of threads just like this and the answer is the same. You need a device on the LAN, either the router or an always on device like a PI to send the wake.

kanewolf

Titan
The problem is that waking a computer requires the router to keep the MAC address in memory. That is not a feature in home routers. Your best bet would be to get a router that lets you remotely log into the router then from the router send the wake payload.
Wake on WAN just doesn't work. There are dozens of threads just like this and the answer is the same. You need a device on the LAN, either the router or an always on device like a PI to send the wake.

Solution
Nov 16, 2019

It makes sense.

My network provider assure me that it's posible using DHCP configuration. It's orange and i'm using livebox +.

That's what i did, i have my computer static ip referenced to my card mac address in DHCP section.

I think that's not problem. Because i can wake on lan my computer several hours ago from sleep. But i can't wake on wan on first minute after my pc comes to sleep mode.

I think there is something more i'm missing.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS