Realtemp CPU ClockSpeed

datwhiteguy98

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
So , I used RealTemp to see if there's any problem with my CPU sensor .
My questions are :
Can RealTemp do any damage to my CPU ? or can it change the clockspeed ?

My CPU is an Intel I5 3470 and the clockspeed started to fluctuate . I've read that it can mess up with your overclocking , but I have never overclocked my CPU .

I also never look at my corespeed before, because there was no need , so is it ok for it to go from 1.6 (when idle) to 3.6 ?
Also how can I know if this program did something to my CPU ?

And sorry for my weird Username , it's an old gmail account ! :D

Solution
RealTemp doesn't do anything to your clockspeed - it's a monitoring utility.

It's perfectly normal for your CPU speed to 'jump' around, that's a specific, intended feature.
1.6GHz while idle is totally fine - basically, the CPU isn't needed much, so it doesn't run very fast - saves power etc.
As needed (intensive tasks etc, or "High Performance" enabled) it'll either boost to 3.6GHz, or run at that speed 100% of the time (with High Performance enabled). Again, all by design.

Nothing to worry about.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
RealTemp doesn't do anything to your clockspeed - it's a monitoring utility.

It's perfectly normal for your CPU speed to 'jump' around, that's a specific, intended feature.
1.6GHz while idle is totally fine - basically, the CPU isn't needed much, so it doesn't run very fast - saves power etc.
As needed (intensive tasks etc, or "High Performance" enabled) it'll either boost to 3.6GHz, or run at that speed 100% of the time (with High Performance enabled). Again, all by design.

Nothing to worry about.

Solution

datwhiteguy98

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018

Thank you very much ! I actually got pretty scared that I've done something bad by using RealTemp .
Once again thank you for resonding so fast and for helping me out !