RealTemp Sensor test results (around 37), seems like something is wrong

LegalPaintBrush

Reputable
May 18, 2017
I just did the RealTemp Sensor test, and the sensor movement of the cores were 37, 37, 35, and 20. These seem higher than what other people have here. Can someone please explain why? Also, why is one of the cores at 20 while the other three are around 37? I just built my computer and I want to know if something wrong happened.

Pc Specs:
i7 7700k
Asus Strix z270e
DDR4 Ripjaws 2x8GB 3000mhz
Coolermaster 212 evo
GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung 850 evo 500GB
EVGA 750 Gold

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110716081819AA7k7T7 is an old answer of mine that I believe is relevant regardless of CPU maker.

Are you positive you applied the thermal compound evenly? Some apply a blob and squish. I applied a rice size dab and spread it with the thin clear clamshell my CPU was inside of. I then did the same to the base of the heatsink(212 Evo). You did tighten the bolts for the 212 in an X pattern to make sure pressure is evenly applied?

Your temperatures seem okay. What are the temps at load? What is your ambient temp.? What does Speccy and HwMonitor say about the cores? Always nice to have a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Case and fan configuration? Did you add a second fan to your Evo?

LegalPaintBrush

Reputable
May 18, 2017

1. I am 90% sure I spread the thermal paste evenly. I put a small blob and spread it with the base of the 212. I did tighten the bolts in an X pattern.

2. When running a stress test (bo on prime95 (version 26.6), my cores reached an average of 91C after 20 minutes.

Case + Fan config:
Thermaltake view 31
2 blue Riing fans (1 bottom of the front + 1 at the top of the back)

3. I did not add a second fan to my Evo.

That's not good. Can you please run http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html and change the test to maximum. The test should complete in 20 minutes or less. I would have one fan at the rear of the case. That is where the Evo exhausts its air to isn't it? Not sure of your Evo's config..

Did you run that test with small FFTs(prime95)? I see you're aware of the later versions of Prime.

LegalPaintBrush

Reputable
May 18, 2017

I am reading about IntelBurnTest and it seems like only advanced overclockers should use it. Currently I am not overclocking my pc, and have never overclocked any pc. Should I still run the stress test?

My fans are as you described: One at the rear where the 212 evo exhausts its air and one at the front.

You said

1 at the top of the back

which led me to believe you had a fan on top of your case, like I do.

Yes, I think that is still necessary.

Your temps under load are not as expected. Something isn't right and I do not know what it is.

LegalPaintBrush

Reputable
May 18, 2017

I will run the stress test, but i just want to know if it will stop itself if the cpu is reaching a dangerous point.

LegalPaintBrush

Reputable
May 18, 2017

So I ran the test at maximum and standard, and the 3rd core reached 100C in about 5 seconds and all the others were at 86C. I turned the stress test off right away because I really don't want to melt a 400$ processor. Help me.

LOL. Uhhh yeah, neither would I. It isn't funny. Just such an obvious and smart reaction. I'd try a remount with a fresh compound application. This http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3084719/4690k-reasonable-temps.html user was also pretty sure they mounted their heatsink correctly.

It's all good, I took out my exhaust fan for more air to go to the cooler and i replaced my thermal paste. MY TEMPS WENT 20 CELSIUS LOWER!

Should that not work and a visual inspection of the cooler doesn't reveal any oddity would lead me to suggest an RMA.