Realy weird issue with Skyrim?

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hey guys! So i have built my pc and got everything running on it super fine, I get 60+ fps on max settings on pretty much any game!

But heres the issue, for some reason whenever i play skyrim after 5-10 minutes of playing it would completely freeze and i would have to exit to desktop and reopen it again but when i reopen it again, the fps drops from 60+ all the way down to 5-10 fps! What is going on here? The only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the computer but i don't want to have to restart the computer whenever skyrim acts up. Also when skyrim crashes it also effects my other games, so for example: Skyrim crashing so i decide to play a different game, that game is 5-10 fps as well. Now the only thing that seems to work is just restarting the computer afterwards.

I have at least 10 mods installed:

1. Enhanced blood textures

2. HD texture pack

3. SkyUI

4. Lightsaber mod

5. SKSE

6. UNP

7. Immersive weapons

8. Immersive armour

9. auto unequip arrows

10. Main Menu Spinning Icon (Makes the skyrim emblem at the main menu spin)

Questionable why it should effect my other games to drop 50 fps in performance but here is my system specs which should help:

1. Intel Core i5 3570k (using stock cpu cooler)

2. Bitfenix Raider case

3. ASrock extreme6 motherboard

4. HP dual channel 8gb ram

5. 650w psu (not ocp and ovp protected)

6. Sapphire HD 7850 oc edition 2gb

Should i possibly upgrade my i5's Cooler to a Aftermarket cooler?
And yes skyrim is a very buggy game with many issues but there is no reason for it to crash then drop 50fps in all my games suddenly!

Regards, Jack

Solution
Your problem is either:
1) corrupt game
2) mod issue
3) hardware issue

You could try a NEW (VANILLA) game (don't delete existing SAVES or just backup the save folder). If the new game doesn't crash then it sounds like a MOD issue. Unfortunately, if you add and remove mods too often it might not be easy to get back to a stable game.

Another option is to REMOVE (not uninstall) all your current mods and play the game. If it doesn't crash then add mods back a few at a time (most efficient is the half-split method. For example, with 16 mods add the first 8, if I doesn't crash add the last eight, then if it DOES crash you know it's in the last add so remove FOUR of those... ).

STEAM?

I use STEAM. If you use it, here's some advice:
1) Save...

JJ1217

Honorable
Common 7850 issue that is yet to be addressed. Sometimes, not in all rigs, when a game crashes, it forces the GPU into a semi permanent downclocking stage, which is reset when restarted.

Try this. If it crashes again, install MSI Kombustor, run it for around 20 seconds in the GPU burn in, exit and test another game. Should be working fine, because Kombustor forces the clock.

I would recommend to uninstall all the mods, probably the reason its crashing.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks, It seemed to have stopped after I have uninstalled the auto equip arrow mod and the spinning emblem mod but if it happends again i will try the Kombustor solution :)

This sounds likely to me.
You can monitor your GPU usage after Skyrim drops to see if the GPU is stuck at a certain frequency. For example, if your GPU is normally at 1000MHz but is now at 300MHz while gaming then there's your problem. (MSI Afterburner? )

The only other possiblity is a software bug forcing the CPU in a loop but I find this unlikely.

*I have a few mods for Skyrim and have NEVER crashed. However, I use Nexus Mod Manager to manage them to help prevent issues. Mods I have (20+ hours with no changes):
- SkYUI
- SKSE
- Official High Res Texture Pack
- Unofficial Patches-> (Skryim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn) *Obtained at same time.
- Skyrim Flora Overhaul
- SFO - Expanded Diversity
- W.A.T.E.R.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Okay so it wasn't those mods now im going to try Kombustor

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Its weird though since i used this GPU in my old computer and it worked fine! The reason i built this new computer was to get a bigger case and a new MOBO for the LGA1155 i5 core. Another weird thing is, skyrim is the only game that crashes and it just effects all the other games until i restart. But i will try MSI afterburner now and see if that works.

Your problem is either:
1) corrupt game
2) mod issue
3) hardware issue

You could try a NEW (VANILLA) game (don't delete existing SAVES or just backup the save folder). If the new game doesn't crash then it sounds like a MOD issue. Unfortunately, if you add and remove mods too often it might not be easy to get back to a stable game.

Another option is to REMOVE (not uninstall) all your current mods and play the game. If it doesn't crash then add mods back a few at a time (most efficient is the half-split method. For example, with 16 mods add the first 8, if I doesn't crash add the last eight, then if it DOES crash you know it's in the last add so remove FOUR of those... ).

STEAM?

I use STEAM. If you use it, here's some advice:
1) Save Game folder
2) Delete the game from Steam
3) Download the game again
4) Verify the game content
5) *Make a BACKUP of the game (before any mods)
6) Play a NEW, vanilla game to ensure things are stable
7) If stable, copy over your Save game and see if it's stable
8) If the VANILLA (no mods) SAVED game is stable, start adding mods back.

Solution

I'm not sure if he uses it or not. He did reply to the link where I mention I use Nexus Mod Manager.

*Try this:
1. Write down the NAMES of all your mods.
2. REMOVE all your mods (but not the SKSE files).
3. Install NMM.
4. Install all your mods with NMM.

lolz1314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thank you haha! You mentioning hardware brought to my attention that my driver was crashing :/ so I uninstalled the beta driver and installed 13.1

I hope you're okay now.

For future reference, I recommend NOT using Beta drivers unless one of the changes solves a CRITICAL issue you are having.

I should have asked about your driver situation though. I just assumed you were using the latest non-Beta.

TRENDING THREADS