[SOLVED] Reapply thermal compound or not

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Hi!

I just built my computer(2021-01-03).
In the process I had to remove some of the parts for troubleshooting because it didn’t post, and I had to remove the cooler and cpu to double check.
I found out that the problem was old bios and the computer is now running.

Do you all recommend to clean and reapply the thermal compound or should I wait?

idle temp 29-31°c
Whitley gaming 60-69°c
I hade a amd ryzen 5 5600x and a corsair h100x.

Sorry for my bad english.

Solution
I would rate myself inexperienced but the process of removing the CPU cooler, clean the surface area and re-apply thermal paste -doesn't look that hard.

I also think that the temps are quite good but when using the browser like Google Chrome can get the CPU temps to 45-50°c . I don't know if that's normal for a AMD processor, I'm used to intel.
Yes it's perfectly normal to read those temp's. The reason is the way Ryzen works as it boosts aggressively from idle to maximum clock possible in order to quickly return to a low clocked state and save energy. It also has dozens of temp sensors scattered throughout the cores so you are reading the highest one at that slice in time. Since it's a quick burst and in one tiny isolated area...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi!

In the process I had to remove some of the parts for troubleshooting because it didn’t post, and I had to remove the cooler and cpu to double check.

Do you all recommend to clean and reapply the thermal compound or should I wait?

idle temp 29-31°c
Whitley gaming 60-69°c

You removed the cooler so yes replace the paste. Don't be surprised if you have heat issues till it's repasted.

Hi!

idle temp 29-31°c
Whitley gaming 60-69°c

You're temps are good. I would leave it be. Don't create a problem.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Hi!

idle temp 29-31°c
Whitley gaming 60-69°c

I agree: those temps are good for a 5600, do not remove it to replace thermal grease. I don't believe it will, but if you do get one or two degrees it will not help with performance in the least.

It's not uncommon at all that good hardware is damaged when an inexperienced builder removes a CPU cooler. If you have to ask this you might be inexperienced too. Since so I totally agree that those temps are perfectly good for a 5600, it's absolutely not worth taking a chance on doing the same with your new build,

Last edited:

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
I agree: those temps are good for a 5600, do not remove it to replace thermal grease. I don't believe it will, but if you do get one or two degrees it will not help with performance in the least.

It's not uncommon at all that good hardware is damaged when an inexperienced builder removes a CPU cooler. If you have to ask this you might be inexperienced too. Since so I totally agree that those temps are perfectly good for a 5600, it's absolutely not worth taking a chance on doing the same with your new build,

I would rate myself inexperienced but the process of removing the CPU cooler, clean the surface area and re-apply thermal paste -doesn't look that hard.

I also think that the temps are quite good but when using the browser like Google Chrome can get the CPU temps to 45-50°c . I don't know if that's normal for a AMD processor, I'm used to intel.

Yes it's perfectly normal to read those temp's. The reason is the way Ryzen works as it boosts aggressively from idle to maximum clock possible in order to quickly return to a low clocked state and save energy. It also has dozens of temp sensors scattered throughout the cores so you are reading the highest one at that slice in time. Since it's a quick burst and in one tiny isolated area it's not the true thermal state of the CPU. You have to use a utility that reports out an average core temperature to get the true thermal state.

HWInfo64 is probably the best for that since it has both the instantaneous high temp as well as an average temp reading so you can compare the two under varying useage. Ryzenmaster also has an average temp reading but it lacks the instantaneous reading so you can compare.

And lastly: AM4 socket is different from Intel's as the CPU is not retained mechanically except by the CPU cooler and very weak socket contact tension. Thermal paste can form a fairly tight bond between the CPU and heatsink, if you've never taken one off before you might be surprised when you pull the CPU out of the socket and bend pins. It's not something reserved for inexperienced, it's happened to me a couple times.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobK92
Solution

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Yes it's perfectly normal to read those temp's. The reason is the way Ryzen works as it boosts aggressively from idle to maximum clock possible in order to quickly return to a low clocked state and save energy. It also has dozens of temp sensors scattered throughout the cores so you are reading the highest one at that slice in time. Since it's a quick burst and in one tiny isolated area it's not the true thermal state of the CPU. You have to use a utility that reports out an average core temperature to get the true thermal state.

HWInfo64 is probably the best for that since it has both the instantaneous high temp as well as an average temp reading so you can compare the two under varying useage. Ryzenmaster also has an average temp reading but it lacks the instantaneous reading so you can compare.

And lastly: AM4 socket is different from Intel's as the CPU is not retained mechanically except by the CPU cooler and very weak socket contact tension. Thermal paste can form a fairly tight bond between the CPU and heatsink, if you've never taken one off before you might be surprised when you pull the CPU out of the socket and bend pins. It's not something reserved for inexperienced, it's happened to me a couple times.

Ah ok! thanks alot for the explanation of how a Ryzen and AM4 socket works, I had no idea. So if I understand you correctly the bond between the heatsink and CPU is so tight so it might bend the pins in the socked when I remove the heatsink?
I have removed the heatsink once whilst troubleshooting -why the computer didn't post but I guess that tension builds up in time and not instantly when I apply the heatsink on the CPU for the first time?

At the moment I'm using HWMonitor for checking temps and I will try those you've recommended.

I guess I'll only change the thermal paste if the temps are getting ridiculously high. What temps should I watch out for? 80-90?

Ah ok! thanks alot for the explanation of how a Ryzen and AM4 socket works, I had no idea. So if I understand you correctly the bond between the heatsink and CPU is so tight so it might bend the pins in the socked when I remove the heatsink?
I have removed the heatsink once whilst troubleshooting -why the computer didn't post but I guess that tension builds up in time and not instantly when I apply the heatsink on the CPU for the first time?

At the moment I'm using HWMonitor for checking temps and I will try those you've recommended.

I guess I'll only change the thermal paste if the temps are getting ridiculously high. What temps should I watch out for? 80-90?

The bond builds between the cpu and heatsink as the paste 'cures', but the socket contact tension is fairly constant. What seems to happen is you wind up cocking the heatsink a little when pulling it off and it bends the pins. Sometimes it bends them a lot, sometimes not so much and hardly even noticeable. If you don't notice and try to re-install the CPU with slightly bent pins into the ultra-fine pitch sockets it winds up bending them much more, sometimes flat to the body.

There are techniques to use: one is heat up the paste with a hot CPU just prior to taking it off as that loosens the bond. Another is twist it slightly side to side while tugging up; this takes some practice to feel comfortable about it as twisting too far can damage both pins and socket. The one I use is pull a length of dental floss between them, effectively slicing through the paste; that takes some luck finding the gap between CPU and heatsink and probably isn't practical with huge HSF's in tight cases.

But the best is to not tempt fate and just leave it alone if all is well.

As far as temps: AMD has stated that up to 95C is normal with sustained heavy all-core workloads...expected even and designed for it. 5600X Tjmax is 95C, but 5800/5900/5950X CPU's Tjmax is 90C.

Reactions: RobK92

RobK92

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
The bond builds between the cpu and heatsink as the paste 'cures', but the socket contact tension is fairly constant. What seems to happen is you wind up cocking the heatsink a little when pulling it off and it bends the pins. Sometimes it bends them a lot, sometimes not so much and hardly even noticeable. If you don't notice and try to re-install the CPU with slightly bent pins into the ultra-fine pitch sockets it winds up bending them much more, sometimes flat to the body.

There are techniques to use: one is heat up the paste with a hot CPU just prior to taking it off as that loosens the bond. Another is twist it slightly side to side while tugging up; this takes some practice to feel comfortable about it as twisting too far can damage both pins and socket. The one I use is pull a length of dental floss between them, effectively slicing through the paste; that takes some luck finding the gap between CPU and heatsink and probably isn't practical with huge HSF's in tight cases.

But the best is to not tempt fate and just leave it alone if all is well.

As far as temps: AMD has stated that up to 95C is normal with sustained heavy all-core workloads...expected even and designed for it. 5600X Tjmax is 95C, but 5800/5900/5950X CPU's Tjmax is 90C.
I see. I’ll take your advice as long as the temps are fine.

Thanks alot for the information and tips of how to remove a heatsink from the CPU.