[SOLVED] Rear Audio Jacks Not Working After Power Surge/Outage

Aug 11, 2021
We had a very short power surge/outage -- maybe 1 second -- and now my motherboard's rear audio jacks (headphone line in and microphone) don't seem to work. I moved to the front audio jacks, and they do work... Any idea?

System info is as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
System Model AB350-Gaming 3
System Type x64-based PC
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product AB350-Gaming 3-CF
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F22, 3/15/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor, 3000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK

Last edited:
Solution
Are those "rear" audio jacks on the motherboard or on a audio card?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect the rear audio ports and any connecting cables for signs of damage: swollen components, melted insulation, blackened/browned areas, bare conductor showing.

Look in the sound settings and Sound Control Panel settings. Are the settings as expected?

Ralston18

Titan

Use a bright flashlight to inspect the rear audio ports and any connecting cables for signs of damage: swollen components, melted insulation, blackened/browned areas, bare conductor showing.

Look in the sound settings and Sound Control Panel settings. Are the settings as expected?

Solution
Aug 11, 2021

Motherboard. I edited the original post to reflect that now. Thank you.

Sound settings were the same as before the power outage, from what I could tell.

I'll inspect the inside and let you know my findings.