Rear Audio & Microphone ports not working

HadenK

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I had both of the side panels off my pc (it's hot in australia) and I accidentally knocked a cup off my table and it hit a cord that was hanging out the side of the case, I pulled out the HD Audio Cable and put it back in, nothing. Can anyone help me with this?

Solution
If the connector was hit hard enough to dislodge it, you might have cracked the motherboard. Take a magnifying glass and strong flashlight to see if there's more damage than just a shorted out audio chip.
Sounds like you shorted out the audio codec, which means you'll need to either replace the motherboard or buy a sound card. To be on the safe side you should replace the motherboard since you don't know what other damage you caused. The cable you're talking about is for the FRONT audio connections, not ones attached to the motherboard, so if the rear connectors (motherboard ones) aren't working it's not possible to fix without replacement.

You should take it as a lesson on what never to do:
1) NEVER have open liquid containers near a computer
2) NEVER leave the case open except for diagnostics

If you worry about overheating, consider getting a better case and axial blower style GPUs.

HadenK

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

The cup had nothing in it, but the cup hit the usb connector that was connected to a power board and I thought it was broken, but thanks for the advice and I will put the side panels back onto the case.