Question Rear fan queastion?

Jul 31, 2022
Hello,
I’m installing a Corsair H100i elite 240mm AIO on top of my Thermaltake aRGB 250 case. I have a Ryzen 7 5700x as my cpu. My rear fan is a noctua F12 120mm fan with 3000rpm max. My question is should the rear fan be a exhaust or intake. Keep in mind my case has front that isn’t good for airflow. I am installing three new Corsair sp elite 120mm pwm fans to replace the dc thermaltake fans. So maybe this will help with the front air flow. My AIO is gonna be at the top as a exhaust. So what do you guys thinks is the best placement for the rear??
Thanks
The one and only
Dirk Diggler
<Moderator edit for language>

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical arrangement would be exhaust.
However, given the recent prolific no front airflow cases on the market, it wouldnt hurt to try it both ways and see.
Monitor both CPU and GPU temps.
Most likely exhaust will still be best, but its worth checking.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have my rear as intake to get some cool air over the VRMs and to feed a top mounted radiator. My front has a push/pull radiator, so I am relying on that rear fan to produce the positive pressure to keep dust infiltration to a minimum.

However, I am relying on the radiators to cool the GPU. If your GPU is air cooled and you don't have a rear exhaust, then much of the heat coming off the GPU will have to be extracted through the CPU cooler.

Rear intake may result in slightly cooler CPU temperatures. But increase GPU temperatures.

It is worth testing since it only takes a minute to flip the fan around.

Jul 31, 2022
Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. After trying both options it has concluded that having the rear fan as a exhaust is the best way. But I do have one more question. Since my AIO is gonna be on top and the fans on it set up as exhaust. Should I leave or take of the magnetic cover on the top: It is actually pretty thick and looks like it would impend the air flow. I have attached a few pics.
52459826117_c956a50a88_m.jpg
52460892028_baa7fc5688_b.jpg