[SOLVED] Rear IO USB Port randomly disconnects and resets when a switch is turned on. Is the motherboard having grounding issues?

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
So this issue has been going on for a while. I have my PC and monitor connected to a surge protector which is connected to a grounded wall socket. Now when I turn on the ceiling fan on the same switchboard, sometimes the rear USB IO ports where I have plugged in my mouse and keyboard, randomly turns off the peripheral and restarts it. Also once I plugged in my keyboard and my PC did a hard reboot.

Apart from this the PC is working fine.

Sometimes it doesnt restart the peripheral and I have to unplug and plug the peripherals again.

How can I fix this problem? Is it a problem with any of my components or the electricals of my house?

My PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2060 Super FE
Gskill Trident Z 16Gb (2x8gb) 3600Mhz ram CL17
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
Corsair RM750 750W 2019
2x Crucial MX500 SSd/ 1x 2TB Seagate HDD

Solution
I would check for a bonded ground....IE electricians (read as Jackleg) have a trick where if a wire gets damaged they will take loose the ground and run it as a leg. It' s pretty dangerous in the first place, and particularly so if they forget to isolate the ground they 'stole'.
"which is connected to a grounded wall socket. "
You are 100% sure it is grounded?
If not...make 100% sure it is.

If it is 100% grounded....

What is likely happening is turning on the fan is disrupting the input voltage to the PSU which disrupts the output voltage of the PSU and you get your USB problem.

You could try running the fan or the PC on a different circuit breaker if that's even possible...or you could try a different fan...or a different power supply.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would check for a bonded ground....IE electricians (read as Jackleg) have a trick where if a wire gets damaged they will take loose the ground and run it as a leg. It' s pretty dangerous in the first place, and particularly so if they forget to isolate the ground they 'stole'.

Solution