Rear mobo audio port not working?

Justin Yoon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
So one of my rear audio ports on my gigabyte ga-x99 gaming 5 mobo suddenly stopped working today. There are multiple audio ports available and I've had my speakers plugged into the "line out" port (or if you have the mobo/familiar with it, back panel connector "g" on the manual). Originally there was no sound at all so I redownloaded the audio drivers for the mobo and my audio did return although not entirely. Music and sounds are fine but whenever there's a human voice the voices become distorted or muted. I've read that this is typically a sign of blown out speakers but the speakers work fine on my phone and I've tried another pair of working speakers and received the same result (distorted voices).

The other audio ports do work but they don't sound as great as the port that used to work (either voices too loud or music too loud). Currently plugged my speakers into the rear headphone/speaker out jack (back panel connector "k") which has the next best audio quality but the bass is a bit too loud to my liking.

To my knowledge nothing eventful happened (ie. spilling liquids, etc.) it just stopped working. Everything else still works so this isn't a huge issue, but if someone else has run into a similar issue and has a solution it'd be greatly appreciated. Or if someone can verify that the audio port has gone faulty that'd be nice too so I can stop thinking about this. Thanks for reading.

Solution
Hi. Driver problem can't be ruled out completely but a faulty audio plug where ground signal dissconnect tend to behave like you describe.

I actually use one laptop with the exact same symptom, and so far I found a very cheap "workaround" - the I've simplu plug a stereo jack into, and slightly rotate it either direction will "bring back" the full sound. In my case it is the plug itself (or it's soldering to mobo) that is bad.
Hi. Driver problem can't be ruled out completely but a faulty audio plug where ground signal dissconnect tend to behave like you describe.

I actually use one laptop with the exact same symptom, and so far I found a very cheap "workaround" - the I've simplu plug a stereo jack into, and slightly rotate it either direction will "bring back" the full sound. In my case it is the plug itself (or it's soldering to mobo) that is bad.

Solution
Not sure what started the initial problem..possibly Windows did an update and decided to make your audio driver new and improved. What it sounds like now is you are running 5.1 or 7.1 audio and jacks aren't assigned correctly. The clue to me is that voice is muffled or muted, which makes me think the center channel that typically handles voice is not there.

Justin Yoon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

lol I'll give this a try

Justin Yoon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

How do I find which audio I'm running and assign correctly then?