Rear USB Headers and Internal USB headers in MOBOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adios_makes_nuggets

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
What's the difference between each one of them? And is having 2 more USB 3.0s internally better than having them in the rear? (Asus z170 Maximus VIII Ranger)

Solution
Internal USB headers are used to connect the front panel of the PC case.

Cheap motherboards often skip the USB 3.0 internal header to keep costs down.

Of course, if your case has no USB 3.0 port on it then you have nothing to connect.

You can also use the ones on the rear.

That motherboard has:
Internal I/O Ports:
2 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.0 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
Internal USB headers are used to connect the front panel of the PC case.

Cheap motherboards often skip the USB 3.0 internal header to keep costs down.

Of course, if your case has no USB 3.0 port on it then you have nothing to connect.

You can also use the ones on the rear.

That motherboard has:
Internal I/O Ports:
2 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.0 port(s)
2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)

Solution
Jul 18, 2019
Hey so my motherboards internal usb 3.0 header has a broken pin, to remedy the situation and regain access to my front io and case RGB I ordered a male usb3.0 (like a flash drive male) to a female usb 3.0 motherboard header. So I get home, plug that boy in and attempt to run dg tuner (evga rgb software for my DG-76 case) and it still couldn't find the USB device. Am I missing something or does this just not work?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey so my motherboards internal usb 3.0 header has a broken pin, to remedy the situation and regain access to my front io and case RGB I ordered a male usb3.0 (like a flash drive male) to a female usb 3.0 motherboard header. So I get home, plug that boy in and attempt to run dg tuner (evga rgb software for my DG-76 case) and it still couldn't find the USB device. Am I missing something or does this just not work?
Please start w whole new thread for your particular situation.
This one is 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.