[SOLVED] Reasonably Priced, Fast Laptop

Ray_1182

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
My apologize if this question as been posted a lot before or if I am just dumb for asking this question but I would really appreciate some expert opinions here. This is maybe the fourth time in my entire life that I have ever posted anything but here we go... I hate my laptop. It is so unreasonably slow. I have always been that guy that just buys a laptop for under $500 and it was good enough. Not this Asus. All I want is for the laptop to start fast, open documents fast and browse fast. No gaming. No streaming. Just MS office and internet. I have tried googling the answer to this question but all I see are recommendations for gaming laptops that are $1300+. I am sure those laptops are amazing but that seems absurdly high for someone that just want to send emails, print and edit documents. And of course startup fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No chromebook. Something with a 10 key would be preferable.

Solution
Yeah you don't need a 1300 dollars laptop.

You can go by any laptop. Here is what you absolutely need in that laptop.

• SSD drive. This is the most important part if you want a quick boot and quick opening of everything.
  • 8GB of RAM minimum.
  • A decent CPU. No dual core / Celeron laptop.
And that's pretty much it. If you want you can link laptops here and I will tell you if it's good for what you want.
Yeah you don't need a 1300 dollars laptop.

You can go by any laptop. Here is what you absolutely need in that laptop.

• SSD drive. This is the most important part if you want a quick boot and quick opening of everything.
  • 8GB of RAM minimum.
  • A decent CPU. No dual core / Celeron laptop.
And that's pretty much it. If you want you can link laptops here and I will tell you if it's good for what you want.

Last edited:
Solution
For just work, the Acer Aspire 5 with Ryzen 5 3500U is pretty nice. 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and a 1080p 60Hz IPS display. The keyboard isn't very pleasant to type on though, since it has scissor switches. The 3200U version is cheaper but has a 128GB SSD and 4GB, so you might need to upgrade that.

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
If you're looking for an Intel-based laptop, I would go no lower than the newer i5-1035G1 or the i5-8265U range of processors. Pair either of these processors with an SSD and 8GB's of DDR4 RAM, it'll handle your requirements no problem. (y)

NOTE - Do not buy any laptop that only has a hard drive (HDD) as storage. Yes, they may be cheaper, but literally is not worth it. Buying a laptop with a Solid-state drive (SSD) is literally the minimum that people on here will recommend and it really isn't that much more expensive. I see it all the time, retailers offering low priced laptops and it has an HDD, don't fall for it my friend😎

ave always been that guy that just buys a laptop for under $500 and it was good enough. Not this Asus. All I want is for the laptop to start fast, open documents fast and browse fast. No gaming. No streaming. Just MS office and internet. I have tried googling the answer to this question but all I see are recommendations for gaming laptops that are $1300+. I am sure those laptops are amazing but that seems absurdly high for someone that just want to send emails, print and edit documents. And of course startup fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. No chromebook. Someth

So your laptop is slow, but is it an older model or a new one that is slow? Slowness in a computer can come from a lot of things not just the fact that the CPU in it is slow. You may want to post some details about what system you have now and the specs in it. I see way too many people ready to throw out a computer when the only issue is that their hard drive is failing or they just loaded it up with junk and need a clean Windows setup.