Reasons not to migrate to Windows Vista

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i mean i was all up for the whole "building the o/s from the ground up" stuff, no porting code and crap from the nt engine, but they went too far with this whole mac competition crap...i just want something that performs efficient and isn't so bloaded

it will be a good o/s eventually, just like xp, it's just gonna take time, but we've been waiting for a long time and now we have to wait even more, even tho the o/s is just about out the door

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Hey, I really do understand. For a long time I too was all worked up about Vista. My GOD, I Alpha tested it as a hand picked tester since it was dubbed Longhorn. But, this EULA thing is truly too much for me. Its XP Pro for me. Like I did Windows Millinium, I will have to overlook Vista. This EULA seeks to limit and eventually remove a persons rights to ownership over their own computers, it further seeks to penalize legitimate users by imposing an unfair (and possibly illegal) method of selling the software again after the initial sale simply because someone upgrades hardware, which allows MS to increase their profits by use of a hidden 'Fee'by forcing a legitimate user to purchase another license if the previous license has been used up by an initial install and then a transfer to another 'device' when in reality it could be the same computer that simply had some hardware upgrades.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Hey, I really do understand. For a long time I too was all worked up about Vista. My GOD, I Alpha tested it as a hand picked tester since it was dubbed Longhorn. But, this EULA thing is truly too much for me. Its XP Pro for me. Like I did Windows Millinium, I will have to overlook Vista. This EULA seeks to limit and eventually remove a persons rights to ownership over their own computers, it further seeks to penalize legitimate users by imposing an unfair (and possibly illegal) method of selling the software again after the initial sale simply because someone upgrades hardware, which allows MS to increase their profits by use of a hidden 'Fee'by forcing a legitimate user to purchase another license if the previous license has been used up by an initial install and then a transfer to another 'device' when in reality it could be the same computer that simply had some hardware upgrades.

Not true. If your PC dies or you choose to upgrade all you do is call MS up and give them your details and they'll reactivate it for you.......

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
306maxi wrote:
Not true. If your PC dies or you choose to upgrade all you do is call MS up and give them your details and they'll reactivate it for you.......

Yup... that's about it. I'm also testing Vista and I contacted them with this concern because I do change hardware from time to time. Usually just an HDD upgrade or a VGA or something, but still. I wasn't about to buy a new license everytime I changed something and they told me to just call them up and it'll be taken care of.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
306maxi wrote:

Yup... that's about it. I'm also testing Vista and I contacted them with this concern because I do change hardware from time to time. Usually just an HDD upgrade or a VGA or something, but still. I wasn't about to buy a new license everytime I changed something and they told me to just call them up and it'll be taken care of.

:cry: Oh how sad I am! Microsoft are not as much of an evil empire as some people thought!

I'm sure MS would get taken to court if they made you buy a new OS everytime you had to replace a couple of components or when you upgraded your PC.

But yet again the uneducated masses want to have something to whinge about so they invented this problem with the help of a few websites.....

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
You need to go and read the EULA on the web for Windows Vista. It states the User may activate Windows Vista twice. Can we count? 2 times. Thats it. After that, you'll have to buy a new copy if you want to continue to use the M$
product. Thats how it sits unless M$ changes it.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Once you break the seal on the M$ product, clickon 'I agree', again, according to their Eula, check it out: http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbidding_vistas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html
this product may only be activated 2 times. BTW, I've had to call and activate my XP a few times. Let me tell ya, those people in India are not always accurate over the phone pal. Take my word on this. Everytime I call M$$$
I get someone in India. I assure you you're not even number 3 on their list of concerns....believe me, if you build a new PC by M$ standarss, or make enough changes, accoring to their rules, you must buy a new license agreement. You never 'own' their product.

You need to read as well.

Win XP can be activated up to 5 times, then you must phone MS to get it reactivated. Vista will be the same, except the limit will be 2 instead of 5. You can still phone MS and they will still activate over the phone.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Once you break the seal on the M$ product, clickon 'I agree', again, according to their Eula, check it out: http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbidding_vistas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html
this product may only be activated 2 times. BTW, I've had to call and activate my XP a few times. Let me tell ya, those people in India are not always accurate over the phone pal. Take my word on this. Everytime I call M$$$
I get someone in India. I assure you you're not even number 3 on their list of concerns....believe me, if you build a new PC by M$ standarss, or make enough changes, accoring to their rules, you must buy a new license agreement. You never 'own' their product.

I've dealt with call center indians and they're OK if you know how to deal with them :)

If you get to use the product for as long as you want then it's no different to owning the product really.

Status
Not open for further replies.