Question Rebinding Alt+Tab

xp.courriel

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
Hi there !

I've tried searching for possible solutions online, but I did not find any compressible guide to disable or preferably rebind the fundamental keyboard shortcut alt+tab in Windows 10.

So, for those who would say "why would you ever want to change that" ; I almost lost my left arm a few years back and after surgeries its all good now, but I can't use my pinky finger of my left hand. So whenever I need to use a program or play a game, I always need to rebind many keys using either ctrl or shift etc. I usually rebind them to Alt/ Alt+(key) as its easy to use with my thumb. In many games that means using Alt+Q Alt+1 etc. The number of times I accidentally pressed Alt+tab is enourmous since I cannot feel touch in my left hand anymore.

So if its at all possible I would love to rebind alt+tab to something else. Or just turn it off if not possible.
Preferably I would not use any 3rd party software, but if I have no choice, then what free software would do the trick ?

Thank you.

xp.courriel

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
In windows you can use the ease of access settings to turn on sticky keys so you can press keys one at a time instead of having to do combos.
You can also use filter keys to make it wait longer for the second press.
That way even if you press alt+tab it will not accept it.
I'll try that. Thank you.

xp.courriel

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
I've previously tried to rebind some annoying "fundamental" Windows key bindings, and had no success. However, a programmable keyboard will easily solve this. You can even make convenient macros for some special cases. I don't know of any free software which would do this.
I'm actually receiving a g915 keyboard in a day or two. I'll check if I can disable alt+tab with the "gaming" mode or other software settings.

I'll try that. Thank you.
I'm curious if you are a gamer? I have a friend who had a nerve damaged on the last joint of his pinky finger, and he can't use the joystick button near that finger tip. If you game, then you might also check out "Voice Attack" for voice commands (this is actually useful for more than games). The "free" version can memorize around 20 commands, but it is worth the extra $5 for the full version (but you can check it out for free). FYI, I'm not advertising this, but I've found it helps when you need more bindings than the keyboard can perform without permanent damage to the fingers playing in shapes they were not designed for. Then again, a programmable keyboard is probably by far the best choice.

Reactions: xp.courriel