Question "Reboot and select a proper Boot device" then no signal to monitor

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Hello!

Currently I have no signal to the monitors on booting and immediately before that I got a "Reboot and select a proper Boot device" message on the monitor.

I hope someone can help me get back to having a functioning computer!
This was a fast, snappy computer that handled multitasking with demanding programs and did ok with games.

My problem:
After shutting down this system and rebooting I got....
“Reboot and select a proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key”
That has not ever happened before.

I rebooted into the BIOS and my boot drive was not there, only the optical.

Swapped the boot and optical cables and reboot to see if it was the cable to the boot drive.
After reboot that there was no signal to the monitors.
Put the cables back, reboot - No Change

So now no signal to the monitors is the Primary problem.

HISTORY:
I have had strange boot issues with this computer on and off since building it. That being, sometimes it does not complete boot. A few restarts and it boots normally. Then I don’t have a problem for 6 months, then have this problem again after a shut down.

BACK TO THE PRESENT
I checked the monitors (all working on other systems with the cables), unplugged for 5min, reboot.
Nothing comes up on monitors (have tried multiple (3) monitors/cables that work on other systems).
My lighted Keyboard and mouse appear to not be getting active power now...? Though if I click the mouse, it briefly lights. Put them in another system, they light normally.
Unplug everything peripheral and reboot. Reconnect the mouse and keyboard with a single monitor. Reboot. No change.

Board has power (light) and all attached to board power up (fans, GPU, HDD, DVD, fan on power is spinning, etc)
Cannot say if there are beeps on startup as, sadly, the system sound is not attached, and I lost it… so I am getting one Monday. Along with a POST test card.

What I have tried:
PC has fully power cycled
Move boot drive to different SATA slot – N/C (I think it was in 2 and have tried slot 1,2+3)
Boot drive is spinning, but initially, I think it was not spinning…
Discharging the power by holding down the power button – N/C
Reseat everything on mobo – N/C
New CMOS battery – N/C
Resetting the CMOS – N/C
Dust everything.
Reseat the CPU and redo the heat sink+paste – N/C
Remove and reseat GPU – N/C
Remove and reseat the RAM also booted w/o RAM also move RAM slot – N/C

System built in 2013
PU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: WD Green 2TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD20EZRX (this is the 2nd HD, a seagate started to click fail in 2015 and I Macrium cloned the drive to this one)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB Power Edition Video Card (the only monitor plugs)
Power Supply: Corsair 500CX - Builder 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Apr 12, 2019
Hello,
Try moving your boot device to another computer with the same O.S and go onto boot menu on that computer, if it doesn't find the boot device then it's dead.

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I want to point out that currently no signal to the monitors is the Primary problem. If I put in a working boot (including an older prior 1TB boot HDD) or new drive, there is no signal to the monitors.

Concerning the HDD in the computer:
Hello,
Try moving your boot device to another computer with the same O.S and go onto boot menu on that computer, if it doesn't find the boot device then it's dead.
I put the drive in question, the 2 TB WD HDD in an external bay and connected to Win7 and Win 10 laptops. The drive spins, it also shows in Disk Management but as "Disc 2; Unknown; Not Initialized"

Other drives (1 TB Seagate or 250GB WD) placed in the external bay show as "Disc 2; Basic, 931.51 GB; Online"

I guess this means that there is something wrong with the drive. I suppose I need to get disk recover for that. I will try it in another desktop with a recovery program later...maybe it will be able to recover. If not, I will see if I can get an institutional IT guy to get in.

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
The suspect HDD placed in another computer with boot drive installed - the computer failed to show on the monitor or boot normally.

Though, the suspect HDD is a boot drive and having two boot devices in a computer might have been a problem?

The suspect HDD in an external drive - the drive spins, it also shows in Disk Management but as "Disc 2; Unknown; Not Initialized" However, because it is a boot disk, would I need to do anything for the computer to see it?

Some negative results;
Reboot with....

• No HD/SSD - N/C
  • Boot disk in OD - N/C
  • New SSD ONLY - No change
  • New SSD with Repair/Boot disk in OD - N/C
  • With SSD back in but no boot disk in SSD
  • Install System speaker
  • Reboot - No POST beep - N/C
  • Remove SSD and reboot No HD/SSD - No POST beep - N/C
  • Remove RAM and reboot - POST beeps indicating missing RAM
So, no beeps on boot (but speaker works) with no mouse or keyboard, only monitor, GPU, OSD (With or without SSD)...

On my list of what I don't know how to test/interpret:

• GPU fan spins...but is it ok?
  • It appears everything gets some power HDD, OSD, GPU, fans, board, etc : I have a working pulsing lighted mouse/keyboard - when plugged in to ANY USB on the computer they do not pulse (but light when mouse button light is pressed for example)...is there a PSU issue? (low power?)
  • Motherboard ok? It gets power and does POST. The HDD may appear to be dead plus other behaviors...
Should I buy some cheap basic board GPU to test that? If it does not work, is it conclusive? If it is a dead GPU, I should get a picture. If the GPU gets no picture in any slot...does that implicate the board?

Is there some direct way to test the MB (or GPU) for health?

I am going to boot with the POST card next.

Thank you!

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
I built outside the case...No Change.
This board has no on board video... :-(

Post Card Results!
The board appears to be working...buuut

I got code 61 and 62 - on the card [62 | 61]
For an Asus:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039406

61 NVRAM initialization <<--- It could be bad RAM or slot, and since I have 1x8 there is no backup.. I tried different slots and N/C

I will try a new RAM tomorrow. I will also try this RAM in another system with an identical RAM.

62 Installation of the PCH Runtime Services <<<----

I have read that Installation of PCH runtime services could be a couple things. It could mean that the graphics card is faulty, or that the PCI-e socket is faulty, or there's a problem with the mobo itself.

Also it could indicate that since 61 failed it did not progress to 62 (accessing the GPU!)???

I swapped the GPU to a different PCIEx16, but there was no change. Sadly I believe using the PCIEx16_2 covers PCI1 which is where the POST card works. It does not read in PCI2.

I don't know if I should only read the right most number, and as it did not pass, it stopped, so ignore the number following it.

???Maybe the HDD is bad...maybe I made a mistake trying to verify this and it is ok.???
???Maybe the RAM is bad. I hope that is all it is! That seems the cheapest fix.

If HDD is bad, I will fresh install W10 on a SSD and use a 1TB HDD storage drive. I have those on hand.

We will see after tomorrow when i have more time. I work on this all day.will also try this RAM in another system with identical RAM.

Going to try
1) Different RAM,
then
2) another GPU.
then
3) Another power.....

Any suggestions?

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Correction, I just learned to get all the codes on the POST card
When I did it, there was no mouse, keyboard, boot drive....

Gulp....

Here are the code meanings for my mobo
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039406

Here are some generic codes meanings
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19121-01/sf.x4500/819-4359-19/appb-post.html

These are the codes in order of appearance. I don't know if it means that it passed each of them until the end, or each was reporting a problem.
4A
3C
4D
4E
F0
F1
F5
F2
F3
4F

The HDD did not work in another computer. Got the "Reboot and select a proper Boot device"

The RAM worked in the other computer (which has identical memory), though I thought it was a little slower.
Windows Memory Diagnostic showed no errors on the RAM.

I am afraid to try the new GPU and power and implicate the mobo.

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Semi-new GPU inserted with NEW RAM - No Change
I did not swap out the PSU.

Going to rebuild with a WIN 10 compatible GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.x) AM3+ Motherboard...which takes all the build parts...

danmirage

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Update:
I rebuild with a new motherboard and it posted with the old parts.

So, it means I broke the motherboard while trying to assess the initial "Reboot and select a proper Boot device"

I am in the process of doing a fresh install of Windows 7 but I intend to upgrade that to W10.

This is the system...

CPU AMD - FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
System/boot SanDisk - X110 - 110 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1 GB Power Edition Video Card
Case NZXT - Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair - Builder 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive Samsung - SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
OS MS Windows 7 64-bit Home and will update to Windows 10 64-bit